Associate Director, Alumni and Parent Relations
Haverford College seeks to hire an exempt full time (37.5 hours), benefits eligible Associate Director of Alumni and Parent Relations whose primary responsibilities include overseeing: parent focused event initiatives including coordinating Family & Friends Weekend, specific affinity group initiatives (Multicultural Alumni Action Group, MAAG), as well as select Alumni Weekend all alumni events.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
Together with the entire Alumni and Parent Relations (APR) team, think critically, strategically, and creatively about the ways in which alumni engage with the College and with one another. Design and execute programming to strengthen alumni engagement – in person and virtually – within the context of the alumni lifecycle and in alignment with fundraising efforts.
- Provide a premier experience for Haverford families, alumni, and friends of the College during Family & Friends Weekend, from inception through execution.
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: develop, plan, and execute event communications while also creating Family & Friends Weekend programing and special weekend events to highlight and celebrate distinguished Haverfordians. Coordinate all weekend logistics from program development and inviting speakers and guests to executing the events of the weekend.
- Consider ways to steward existing leadership donor families, as well as attract new leadership families, by partnering with Institutional Advancement colleagues.
- Manage $30,000 event budget.
- Develop, implement, and manage all events for parents as part of a two-person parent engagement partnership.
- Think creatively about ways to enhance the parent engagement program.
- Direct the Move-In Day events including the “Wine and Tissue” reception for parents, International Parent Lunch in partnership with Individual Giving, Founders Hall events, and the Alumni and Parent Relations Welcome Reception.
- Oversee Welcome Parties in selected off-campus regions to welcome new first year student families to the Haverford community through partnership with Individual Giving. Guide the Alumni and Parent Relations assistant in execution of events.
- Coordinate with Alumni and Parent Relations colleague on the parent communications schedule for the year to ensure seamless outreach efforts.
- Provide support for the enhancement of assigned affinity networks within the alumni body, and between the alumni body and the campus community, in order to more thoughtfully engage alumni by profession, age/generation, gender, race/ethnicity, special interest, etc.
- This role will serve as the primary liaison for the well-established and mature affinity program MAAG (Multicultural Alumni Action Group). Duties include volunteer management, event design and logistical support, and program execution that furthers MAAG’s existing strategic priorities.
- Continually refine the strategy for how we leverage affinity groups to engage alumni and parents, and, together with the team, evaluate and adjust programming on an ongoing basis to maximize impact and alumni engagement.
- Additional affinity programs may be added by the Senior Associate Director, Alumni and Parent Relations, as the FY19 affinity program strategic plan is created and enacted.
- With the assistance of the entire APR team, and in partnership with Individual Giving, support the conceptualization and implementation of a successful reunion program. While managing assigned reunion projects, this role will serve as an active member of the Reunion Mini Team. Expect that all reunion-related responsibilities will require extensive volunteer recruitment, management, and training. Be prepared to accept responsibility for one-off reunion programming needs/responsibilities as they arise.
- Ensure strong attendance and alumni satisfaction with Alumni Weekend programming efforts by:
- Leading the planning and execution of the All-Alumni Music and Food Truck Festival. Additionally, work with individual trucks on special Institutional Advancement initiatives like the Jacob Jones Sweets Truck and “Thanks a Tot” effort for Alumni Admission Volunteers.
- Serve as the overall entertainment manager for the weekend by booking, scheduling, and supporting multiple live bands for performances across the weekend. Train a dedicated student to be the main support for band related needs during the weekend.
- Expertly execute the Saturday night Reunion Dinners by coordinating with appropriate vendors, on campus partners, and internal reunion liaisons through the Reunion Mini Team.
- Support the efforts of the Alumni Association Executive Committee (AAEC) and attend all meetings. For FY19, partner with the MAAG liaison to AAEC while also identifying/implementing an AAEC Parent liaison.
- Maintain all electronic systems as it relates to this work, including but not limited to, the website, departmental calendars, FinalSite (registrations), MailChimp (email), Raisers Edge (database), and social media platforms.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience:
- Candidates with 2-3 years of event and volunteer management experience are preferred
- Bachelors’ degree required
- Familiarity with a liberal arts setting, as well as Haverford’s mission and priorities is favored
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team, to prioritize work efficiently, and to meet deadlines while maintaining a positive attitude is required
- Have a personal passion for engaging alumni populations of color in the life of Haverford College through programming, volunteerism, and philanthropy
- Must be able to think critically, strategically, and creatively about the tasks and progress of the Alumni and Parent Relations team
- Facilitate information in order to assist in the success of Alumni and Parent Relations and Individual Giving efforts
- Must be calendar driven
- Must be able to handle confidential materials and situations with sensitivity, tact, and discretion
- Ability to carry out multiple activities/projects concurrently is expected
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, have a working knowledge of social media, and a basic familiarity with email and website building programs
- This position will be required to perform both evening and weekend work. Occasional travel for events may be needed
- Possession of a valid U.S. drivers’ license, and ability to pass a Motor Vehicle Record check are required
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) up to three hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): up to three hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Never
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: Never
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Never
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Never
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Never
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): Up to three hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): Up to three hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): three to six hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Up to three hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Never
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Never
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Never
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Up to three hours
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Never
To Apply: Please visit https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Assoc-Dir-of-Parent-Programs_R102 to complete the online application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names of three references. Please note that failure to provide the requested information may result in failure for consideration. To receive full consideration, please apply by Wednesday, April 25, 2018.
Haverford College has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the academic program, lived experience, and composition of the College community. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will contribute to the College’s educational mission.
Haverford College is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.