Post Doctoral Scientist, Online Learning
I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Job Description Summary:
At the Graduate School of Education and Human Development (GSEHD), we advance knowledge through meaningful research that improves policy and practice. Committed to the ideals of equity and justice, our research is relevant, timely, and contributes to the goal of social progress through education. The Graduate School of Education and Human Development at George Washington University in Washington DC invites applications for a two-year Post-Doctoral Scientist position to support an active research agenda in Online Learning. The individual in this two-year position will employ quantitative methods to investigate the current state and potential impacts online learning has on education (including practice and policy). The successful candidate will be expected to work closely with a team of researchers and individually to produce scholarly work related to online learning and actively seek external research support.
The key responsibilities of this position include:
1. Development of data collection instruments.
2. Data collection while ensuring accurate data cleaning and data analysis.
3. Report writing, analysis of findings, and preparation of manuscripts for publication.
4. Participates in the grant process which may include identification of potential grants, development of response to RFPs and performing research activities.
5. Performs administrative research activities. This includes, but is not limited to, maintaining reference database in RefWorks, updating of research website, etc.
6. Performance of other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a PhD in a related discipline. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
• Strong knowledge & experience in the field of Online Learning.
• Advanced skills in quantitative research methods (e.g. general univariate and multivariate analysis, complex sampling methods, structural equation modeling, latent variable modeling, multi-leveling modeling, item response theory, meta-analysis, Bayesian methods)
• Strong writing skills, including the capacity to construct complex arguments, integrate multiple sources of evidence, and conduct sophisticated analysis.
• Experience with grant writing.
• Strong organization skills with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and work to meet deadlines.
• Enjoy working as part of a team as well as independently investigating the field of Online Learning.
• Able to interact effectively with a diverse population at all levels, facilitate decision making and conflict resolution, maintain a positive and constructive demeanor treating all staff, students, faculty with professionalism, courtesy and respect.
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Ashburn, Virginia College/School/Department: Graduate School of Education & Human Development (GSEHD) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Field Research Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Telework Position; Mon-Friday 830a-500p Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
This is a telecommuting position.
To apply, please submit the following:
A dissertation abstract or summary- please attach this to the “other Documents refer to Special Instructions”
Please attach two writing samples that best showcases your writing, editing, and formatting skills to: “Assessment of Skills Relevant to Basic Qualifications.”Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: R000514 Job Open Date: 04/04/2018 Job Close Date: 05/02/2018 If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please explain why you are interested in this position?
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is your salary range expectation?
(Open Ended Question)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Other Documents Refer to Special Instructions to Applicants
- Cover Letter
- Assessment of Skills Relevant to Basic Qualifications
- Statement of Research Interest
- Statement of Teaching and Research Interest