Scope of Job
To provide professional nursing skills and leadership in the coordination and administration of the nursing process. Responsible for assessing, developing, implementing, and evaluating a plan of nursing care for patients in an assigned area. Supervises and delegates patient care through auxiliary personnel.
Description of Duties
• Maintains standards of patient care as established by nursing service and the nursing profession.
• Demonstrates an awareness of the total nursing needs of the patient and is responsible for seeing that they are met.
• Participates in professional nursing care of patients as required.
• Administers medications and/or treatments as prescribed by the physician.
• Maintains accurate medical records.
• Develops and monitors specific plan of action for emergency medical procedures.
• Performs treatment of emergency patients when applicable, refers emergency patients to proper physician and assists physician with treatment as required.
• Supervises nursing staff on patient assessments.
• Supervises and delegates patient care through staff personnel.
• Develops and supervises procedures for patient scheduling, record keeping, and monitoring follow up care of patients with serious medical problems.
• Initiates laboratory tests and collects various specimens and cultures.
• Appropriately develops and implements clinic protocols and/or policies and procedures.
• Performs related duties as required.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school of nursing.
Current RN licensure from the Texas State Board of Nurse Examiners.
Two (2) years of experience as a licensed registered nurse.
Two (2) years or more supervisory experience as a licensed registered nurse in ambulatory or outpatient setting.
Use of standard office equipment. Proficiency in the use and understanding of medical equipment such as oxygen tank operation, sphygmomanometer, phlebotomy/lab equipment/supplies, supplies for ear irrigation, thermometers, pulse oximeter, EKG machine, nebulizer, and centrifuge.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Usual health care facility conditions with possible medical or psychiatric emergencies. Exposure to all common diseases. Must constantly consider safety risks and provide safe environment conducive to patients, visitors and staff. Work environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
Knowledge of health care laws and regulations. Ability to provide patient care, to prepare and maintain records. Extreme accuracy in following written and verbal directors and in the dissemination and application of technical information.
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.