Public Services Supervisor
Hospitality is an important value at the Brandel Library. The Head of Public Services (HPS) will build and lead the teams who typically are the first and last people a library patron interacts with at the Check-In, Circulation, and Reference desks. The HPS will ensure that library patrons are welcomed and provided excellent service in the library. This position will work closely with the Head of Collections to ensure patrons have access to the items they need. They will also work with librarians to help students identify appropriate resources for their needs. This position will monitor the building for cleanliness and report any maintenance issues to the library’s administrative assistant.
This position is a full-time position that reports to the Head of User Experience and may be required to work nights and weekends.
- Manage the Reference and Circulation departments including the Check-In desk
- Work with university librarians to schedule consultations with patrons
- Respond to the chat reference and library email or refer to the appropriate staff member
- Gather data about Public Services usage for assessment purposes
- Staff departments through scheduling (using WhenIWork), hiring, training, and leading monthly meetings
- Responsible for the creation and consistent enforcement of Public Services policies which will be documented in the departmental Wiki
- Supervise the departments by answering patron questions, assisting in technology or printing problems, dealing with emergencies, and managing Voyager
- Manage administrative activities of the Circulation department including shelving, library guest access, and circulation reports
- Monitor the building spaces and report any issues to Physical Plant
- Oversee all library signage to ensure consistency and clarity
- Lead the process of building and circulating the reserve collection in the library
- Bachelor’s degree, MLS or applicable graduate degree preferred
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to identify problems and take initiative
- Ability to work independently with attention to detail and manage multiple tasks
- Experience working with university students; Academic library experience preferred
- Ability to master evolving computer software and upgrade workflows as technology changes
- Ability to lift and move books and ability to push a full book cart
- Strong interest in working in an academic library and supporting academic research
- Personal commitment to North Park’s mission of Christian higher education and Brandel Library’s core values of community, creativity, effectiveness, and curiosity
Nothing in this job description restricts the supervisor’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.