Primary responsibilities are providing customer service at the circulation desk, assisting patrons with account issues and finding library materials. Additional responsibilities include enforcing entrance policies, collecting the requested books from the stacks (“paging”) and participating in library opening or closing duties. Additional responsibilities include backup for Kislak Center desk, welcome patrons and ensuring a safe and consistent experience, assisting patrons with account issues, collecting the requested books from the stacks (“paging”) and participating in library opening or closing duties. Assist the supervisor in maintaining a scholarly atmosphere within the library building. This position may assume responsibility for opening or closing the library as well as overall building responsibility when a supervisor is not on duty. This position may be required to work at the Gables and Miami Lakes locations.
This regular, full-time position works predominantly Monday through Friday but weekend coverage may be needed and will be scheduled in advance. All staff maybe required to change their shifts as needed by the department. During shortened and summer hours schedule varies from the Fall/Spring.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (include percentages of time)Provide service at the Circulation & Kislak Service Desks (50%).
- Maintain positive customer relations with library patrons.
- Answer questions regarding Circulation, Reserves, study room reservations and ILL procedures, policies, records and transactions.
- Check in, check out and renew library materials.
- Accept recalls, process traces, and offsite storage requests.
- Check patron ID’s, and issue guest passes.
- Monitor entrance/exit gate adhering to library policies.
- Assist patrons with equipment (e.g. photocopiers, print stations, microfilm machines, etc.).
- Perform basic printer troubleshooting, and report malfunctions to the Systems Support Desk.
- Accept payment of library fines.
- Assist patrons with disputed library encumbrances.
- Assist with library opening and closing duties when applicable.
- Assist with double-checking of materials, and re-shelving or sorting at certain points in the year.
- Report facilities complaints to Facilities Manager or other appropriate departments.
- Ensure that the library entrance and the circulation desk are neat and equipped with the necessary supplies (umbrella bags, calendars, stacks guides, passes, etc.)
- Make appropriate referrals to Learning Commons academic service partners and library departments and staff as needed.
- Assist in shelving or sorting returned materials as needed
- Process transit requests for library materials from all lending locations.
- Deliver and retrieve library materials from all lending locations.
- Assist remote storage supervisor with duties at the off campus facility
- Perform searches for library materials and assist with inventory process.
- Monitor supply levels and order supplies as necessary.
- Maintain updated procedures manuals for processing duty.
- Maintain helpful and supportive customer service behavior with all library customers.
- Establish effective and supportive interdepartmental relationships to increase unit effectiveness and disseminate information.
- Communicate frequently and effectively with all university staff, faculty, and administrators in a timely manner regarding procedures, policies, and other necessary information.
- Attend departmental meetings and writes reports as required.
- Participate in library committees and task forces as needed.
Other duties as assigned (10%).
- Assist with Stacks, Reserves, ILL and other library activities as assigned.
- Participate in library committees and teams as needed.
- SUPERVISION RECEIVED
This position reports to the Circulation Manager.
- SUPERVISION GIVEN
This individual assists in the supervision of student assistants on an occasional basis in the absence of supervisors
- LEVEL OF CONTACTS
The individual works with all levels of University and Library staff including faculty, administrators, staff, and students as well as alumni and community users. Within the library, this individual works with all levels of library faculty and staff as well as student employees. In all contacts, the incumbent is expected to be professional and courteous.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience, Skills, Training, etc)
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Two years of related experience required or two years of college.
- Valid Florida Driver’s License
- Typing skills of at least 25 wpm.
- Experience with Microsoft Office or equivalent software including Word, Excel, and Outlook required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Customer service skills required
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds, push 50+ pounds and reach while on a stool.
- Fluency with Ex Libris Alma or similar library system preferred.
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>