Summer English Instructor - Upward Bound
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News &amp; World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit http://www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Program Director
Month/Year: June 18th to July 28th (Position is contingent on continued funding beyond May 31, 2018)
Summary of Position:
The Mills College Upward Bound (MCUB, hereafter) Program offers a six-week summer academic program for students entering grades 9th through 12th. The MCUB summer academic program will be conducted at Mills College in Oakland, CA. Staff orientation and one week of training will take place before the program begins; Training dates are to be announced prior to hiring. Instruction for the MCUB Summer Academic Program is scheduled to begin Monday, June 18, 2018 and continue through Friday, July 28, 2018. The student/parent orientation, weekly staff meetings, tutorial sessions and enrichment activities are mandatory events for all summer staff. The event dates are to be announced prior to hiring.
MCUB Program is currently seeking highly motivated, knowledgeable, creative, engaging, student focused, experienced educators to teach academic courses in foundational and advanced English. Courses will be taught to high school students in 9th -12th grades. The positions require someone who has passion, innovation, and knowledge to motivate and challenge students to generate skills necessary for college success. We seek instructors who can develop strong curriculum that addresses students' needs, interests, abilities, and curiosities in English. Each course will be defined by:
- Small classes (15-25 students)
- Daily in-class instruction, group work, real-world application of concepts taught, quizzes
- Present novel concepts that they may not otherwise be seen by our students unless they decide to actively seek it out; writing skills development, such as grammar, syntax, and structures of essay, along with fun project based learning activities
- Pre & post assessments
- How student met goals/objectives/outcomes of class
- Academic strengths and challenges throughout course
- Character strengths and challenges throughout course
- Other areas that need further development
- Final grade for class
- Work with Academic Coordinator in developing & selecting course content.
- Develop a teaching-learning plan, consistent with academic performance standards &amp; expectations.
- Provide individualized and small group instruction.
- Establish classroom management policies and procedures needed to maintain a productive classroom environment.
- Design a curriculum that employs the use of technology.
- Evaluate each participant's progress in subjects taught.
- Complete comprehensive progress and final evaluations for each student.
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and support, MCUB program mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
- Participate in the MCUB program's weekly teacher staff meetings.
- Attend the staff training, program activities, &amp; final teacher evaluation closing session. Dates to be announced prior to hiring.
- Perform other related duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must demonstrate proficiency in related field and some proficiency with computers.
- Knowledge of academic performance standards (Knowledgeable of California Content standards for subject area)
- Inspirational, culturally aware with demonstrated knowledge and experience in problems facing low-income and first generation students
- Knowledge of child/adolescent development and different learning styles
- Must be able to effectively work with students with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic and ethnic backgrounds
- Must be able to understand and enforce all MCUB Program policies
- Bachelor's Degree with a Teaching Credential; highly preferred or equivalent experience in teaching university or secondary levels.
- Thorough knowledge of subject matter and skill acquisition in subject being taught.
This is a temporary, exempt, part-time position. Salary is comprised of a stipend up to a maximum of $3,500.00. It is awarded to the MCUB Program Summer Instructor for the 7-week program based on the following criteria:
- Amount of Funds budgeted in program grant for Summer Academic Instructors.
- Educational Background
- Experience teaching in Upward Bound or TRIO programs
- General Teaching Experience
- Number of subjects contracted to teach
- Number of sections contracted to teach
- Extra curricula responsibilities on Fridays (workshops, field trips, presentations, etc.)
To apply, please submit the following at http://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=96353
- Cover letter specifying your qualifications & expertise based on outline job description
- Resume and contact information for 3 references, and
- Sample course proposal/syllabus