Accounts Payable Specialist
The Accounts Payable Specialist position ensures prompt and accurate payments to vendors on a timely basis. Ensures documents conform to Federal, State and College policies and procedures.
Reporting to the Accounts Payable Manager, the Specialist performs the review, audit and processing for payment of all Goods and Services vendor invoices for the College of William and Mary as required by the Commonwealth of Virginia Accounting Policies and the College Financial Operations procedures.
Specific responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Conduct an audit and review of AP vouchers and verify that the Vendor Payment Request Form is correctly filled out and properly signed by all necessary parties, with supporting documentation.
- Follow up with departments as necessary to resolve any issues with paperwork submitted and or to confirm time-lines are being followed.
- Service internal and external customers through email and phone, answers questions and provide guidance to customers regarding federal, state, and college policy and procedures as necessary for completing an AP voucher.
- Provide guidance to customers regarding federal, state, and college policy and procedures as necessary for completing an AP voucher.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of basic accounting processes and procedures with familiarity with 1099 tax reporting requirements.
- Working knowledge of accounting and automated information systems, with the ability to learn and use new systems.
- Strong attention to detail, with the ability to analyze fiscal transactions for conformity with federal, state and college policies and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with a diverse consistency, while exercising tact and diplomacy in all interactions.
- Effective problem solving skills, with a strong customer service focus and the ability to respond to a variety of questions and resolves issues efficiently.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to work independently in a fast paced environment while balancing multiple tasks within tight deadlines.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business management or other related field or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Strong working knowledge with Oracle based systems.
- Knowledge of Commonwealth of VA fiscal policies and procedures is a desirable.
- Knowledge of the vendor create process is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience processing vendor vouchers.
- Experience with Banner (Finance) or another comparable ERP finance module is desirable.
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.