PART-TIME TEMPORARY INSTRUCTOR – GRAPHIC ARTS
El Camino College
PART-TIME TEMPORARY INSTRUCTOR – GRAPHIC ARTS
Division: FINE ARTS/CENTER FOR THE ARTS
Close Date: April 30, 2018
Complete job description and application available online at: https://elcamino.igreentree.com/CSS_Academic
The El Camino Community College District is now accepting applications for anticipated part-time faculty positions for the 2018 fall semester to teach courses with emphasis on the following:
ART-131/231 – LETTERING & TYPOGRAPHY
Lettering and Typography I provides a foundation in typography for students interested in graphic design and digital arts. The history of lettering techniques from calligraphy to digital typesetting will be covered in addition to the fundamental characteristics of letterform design, selection and composition. Students will create typographic designs for both page and screen layout. Lettering and Typography II continues the study of lettering fundamentals including the Roman alphabet and its various categories, families and related fonts. Emphasis is placed on creative problem solving including self-generated project themes and solutions, inventive production strategies, and experimentally-derived aesthetic content. The creation and presentation of a portfolio of artwork is also included.
Faculty job responsibilities include the development/review of curriculum and assessment of learning outcomes to improve teaching and learning in achieving El Camino College’s mission of institutional effectiveness, quality educational programs, and vibrant student support services.
• Bachelor's degree and two years’ experience in the discipline; OR
• Associate's degree and six years’ experience; OR
• The equivalent - Candidates not possessing the required qualification(s) as stated on this announcement, must complete the Request For Equivalency Form as part of the application process to explain in detail how their qualifications are equivalent to those above; OR
Valid California community college credential in appropriate subject (per California Education Code 87355 issued prior to July 1, 1990); AND
• Sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of college students, and of individuals with disabilities.
Previous college-level teaching experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Part-time teaching assignment(s) for the 2018 fall semester, beginning August 25, 2018. A teaching demonstration will be required during the interview process. Offer and acceptance of employment is subject to verification of all information provided on the employment application, credential(s), transcripts, fingerprint results, and tuberculosis examination as required. Candidates selected for employment will be required to provide verification of work authorization in the form of a passport, valid driver's license, or other equivalent identification, and social security card.
PART-TIME SALARY RANGE
Part-time faculty members are compensated on a semester basis according to the number of class hours assigned per semester and on cumulative semesters of instruction for the District. The beginning rate is $82.62 - $105.47 (lecture), $62.62 - $79.92 (lab) per hour depending on education and experience.
Applicants must submit the following documents by the closing date:
1) Online application: https://elcamino.igreentree.com/css_academic
2) Cover letter describing how applicant meets the qualifications.
3) Resume including educational background, professional experience, and related personal development and accomplishments.
4) Pertinent transcripts (only in pdf format) as stated in the job qualifications. (Unofficial computer-generated academic records/transcripts must include the name of the institution and degrees awarded to be acceptable.) Multiple page transcripts must be loaded as ONE pdf document.
Foreign Transcripts: Transcripts issued outside the United States of America require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. For information on transcript evaluation services, please visit:
5) Evidence of a valid community college credential, if applicant holds one.
Please Note: Documents submitted or uploaded for a previous position cannot be reused for other positions. You must submit the required documents for each position you apply for by the closing date. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application. Applications with an incomplete status will not receive consideration. You may check the status of your application online.
If you need assistance, you may call 310-660-3593 Ext. 5809 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Due to the large volume of calls received on closing dates, we highly recommend that you do not wait until the last day to apply so that we may assist you with questions or technical matters that may arise. Give yourself sufficient time to complete the profile, which may take 45 minutes or more. Positions close promptly at 3:00 p.m.
Closing Date: Monday, April 30, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
El Camino College is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The El Camino Community College District is committed to providing an educational and employment environment in which no person is subjected to discrimination on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, creed, age (over 40), disability (mental or physical), sex, gender (including pregnancy and childbirth), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military and veteran status, or retaliation; or on any other basis as required by state and federal law.