Librarian II - Cataloging Librarian (Business Title: Cataloging Librarian)
Position: Librarian II - Cataloging Librarian (Business Title: Cataloging Librarian)
Loyola Marymount University seeks an energetic and self-directed person for the position of Cataloging Librarian.
Loyola Marymount, founded in 1911, is a comprehensive university in the mainstream of American Catholic higher education. Located on the west side of Los Angeles overlooking the Pacific Ocean, LMU is one of the nation’s 28 Jesuit colleges and universities and five Marymount institutions. It serves 6,000 undergraduates and 2,200 graduate students in the Colleges/Schools of Liberal Arts, Science and Engineering, Business Administration, Communication and Fine Arts, Film and Television, Education, and Law. The William H. Hannon Library was opened in 2009 and serves as the intellectual and cultural hub of the university. Loyola Marymount seeks professionally outstanding applicants who value its mission and share its commitment to academic excellence, the education of the whole person, and the building of a just society. LMU is an equal opportunity institution actively working to promote an intercultural learning community.
The person in this position will catalog library materials in all formats on a national database, including creating original records as well as adapting records already created by others, with primary responsibility for cataloging serials, video recordings, sound recordings, electronic resources, and Curriculum Collection books. They will also transfer and load files of catalog records between the online catalog and other systems, and will select materials for the library collections in designated subject areas and act as liaison with those academic departments. The library is committed to achieving inclusive excellence and ethnic and racial diversity among our staff, including our librarians.
1. Catalog library materials in all formats on a national database, adapting copies from other institutions and contributing original records as necessary. Transfer records to the local on-line library system with appropriate local notes, item records, and codes.
2. Take primary responsibility for cataloging serials, video recordings, sound recordings, electronic resources, and Curriculum Collection books.
3. Regulate and normalize headings in the local on-line library system through imposition of authority control.
4. Transfer and load files of catalog records between the local on-line library system and other systems.
5. Recatalog and reclassify materials from existing library collections.
6. Maintain currency with national cataloging standards, network software changes, and local, in-house procedures. Assist in on-going planning, training, and documentation.
7. Assist with training and supervision of the paraprofessional staff.
8. Select materials for the library collection in designated subject areas and act as liaison with those academic departments.
9. Serve on university and library committees and perform other duties as assigned. Contribute to the profession through publications, formal presentations, and participation in relevant professional associations and groups, locally, regionally and nationally.
KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of machine-readable cataloging formats, Resource: Description & Access (RDA), Anglo American cataloging rules, Library of Congress classification and Library of Congress subject headings. Familiarity with OCLC or other national bibliographic databases. Familiarity with Innovative Interfaces or other integrated on-line library systems
ABILITY: Make sound judgments in cataloging decisions, based on RDA, AACR2, and system requirements. Communicate effectively with faculty, students, staff, and the public. Be creative, flexible, and collaborative.
SKILLS: Exercise judgment on selection and retention of library materials. Prioritize work. Input cataloging records and system codes quickly and accurately. Transfer and load record files carefully and accurately.
EDUCATION: Typically a Master’s degree in Library Science from a program accredited by the American Library Association.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of two years cataloging experience, with at least one-year professional-level cataloging experience (including internships) using OCLC or similar national bibliographic database.
KNOWLEDGE: Familiarity with Sierra cataloging interface, BIBFRAME, linked data, metadata standards, and/or rare book cataloging standards.
EXPERIENCE: audiovisual cataloging; original cataloging; regulating headings in an online catalog; working in an academic library.
We plan for our new librarian to join us in Summer 2018. Deliberations on the pool of candidates will begin as resumes are received.
Applicants should submit the following materials:
- Letter of application, with a statement of professional goals;
- Curriculum vitae or resume;
- List of three professional references (names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers);
Inquiries should be addressed to:
Head Cataloging Librarian
Loyola Marymount University
One LMU Drive MS8200
Los Angeles, CA 90045-2659