Department Chair, Family & Consumer Sciences
The Department Chair is responsible for daily operation of the department and department programs; assures the delivery of academic programs in accordance with departmental, college and university strategic plans; hiring and evaluation of department personnel, to include faculty and staff; and budgeting and resource management. The Chair is responsible for promoting excellence in department programs within the University; leadership, administrative expertise to include vision, long-term and short-term planning. This is a full-time, ten month, tenure-track position with the possibility of a joint appointment with Research for potential summer employment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide guidance and leadership to faculty/staff/students to emphasize the importance of the program achieving high standards of quality, internally and through public and externally.
- Work with faculty, students, and staff to establish and maintain a long-term vision for the department that is consistent with the departmental, college, and university missions
- Management daily operations of the department of family and consumer sciences
- Manage resources for the advancement of departmental and program vision and mission
- Coordinate efforts with all accrediting agencies to maintain the accreditation for AAFCS/ACEND
- Administer the hiring and recruitment of full time and part time faculty
- Complete Program Assessment and assessment of courses offered in the core
- Complete comprehensive program reviews and other required reports in accordance with USG regulations
- Serve as the Executive Director of the Head Start and Early Head Start Program
- Participate in research and scholarly activities in the discipline
- Serve on college, departmental, and university committees
- Seek external grant funds to support program activities and student scholarships
- Participate in the continuous assessment, of student learning outcomes
- Provide service to the university and professional organizations
- Actively recruit students to the university and department
- Perform other duties as required
- PhD or equivalent in one of the areas of Family and Consumer Sciences , Child Development, Family Relations, Food and Nutrition, Apparel and Textiles, Family Resource Management.
- Administrative experience or evidence of leadership qualities
- Scholarly experience in research, teaching, and professional practice
- Prior teaching and outreach experience at the college or university level
- Excellent communication, human relation skills, and a commitment to shared governance.
- Excellent analytical, oral, written communication skills and team work
- Academic credentials suitable to be hired as Associate Professor or Full Professor
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA's)
- knowledge of programs within department in terms of requirement, policy, procedure, operation, and management; accreditation requirements and specifically those that apply to the Southern Association for the Accreditation of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS).
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices
- Documented performance in the areas of teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Success in administration of family and consumer sciences programs in higher education to include strategic planning, operations, collaboration with colleagues.
- Five years teaching and outreach experience in one of the disciplines in family and consumer sciences
- Experience working for a Land Grant University
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including some evenings and/or weekends.
- Access to a reliable vehicle
- Successful experience working in a team setting.
Manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer and other office equipment, including, but not limited to, the telephone, fax machine, copier.
Regularly required to sit, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear; lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required include close, distant color visions, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
Noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.