The University Memorial Center (UMC) is accepting applications for the position of Electrician II. The electrician II position provides working support for the University Memorial Center (UMC) Maintenance Department. The position maintains the electrical, mechanical, and other equipment used by the UMC. While the electrician primarily performs electrical trades support for the UMC, they are also expected provide a wide array of building maintenance functions as well. This includes supporting other trades with the building mechanical systems, bowling equipment, plumbing repairs, carpentry work, painting, etc. The electrician troubleshoots equipment problems and makes necessary repairs, helps maintain the general upkeep of the UMC, will be asked to help coordinate capital projects and assists with developing preventative maintenance programs throughout the UMC.
This full-time position offers excellent benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid sick time and holidays, and retirement with an employer contribution at 10% of your salary.
Who we are:
The University Memorial Center (UMC) is the student union and heart of the University of Colorado Boulder Campus. It is a dynamic environment with a variety of resources, activities, services, and programs occurring daily. As part of the Division of Student Affairs, the UMC looks for opportunities to collaborate with our colleagues on campus to accomplish departmental, division, and campus-wide goals. We are an auxiliary department supported by student fees through the campus' student government. We offer a great work schedule, health insurance, paid vacation time, sick time, and holidays.
The Division of Student Affairs values the diverse backgrounds, histories, identities and life experiences of every member of our community. We strive toward inclusive excellence in making our policies, processes and actions socially just and equitable. We celebrate and embrace differences. We are committed to welcoming and including diverse groups and perspectives in building a climate in which all members can thrive in an environment where they feel at home, welcome and safe.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Install and Repair
- Perform repairs to various electrical building systems by assessing problems, determining correct course of action, and completing repairs.
- Install new electrical service after determining the availability of power, planning routing of new conduits, and wiring and installing the proper devices to provide needed services.
- Work as a member of the UMC maintenance team to provide a wide array of building maintenance and upkeep services.
- Repair of all types of equipment including custodial equipment, furniture, the building's lock systems, building systems and infrastructures that do not require specialized services to complete the repairs or a licensed contractor to repair due to code or safety requirements.
- Investigate, purchase and install new and replacement electrical equipment for the UMC. This includes motors for the HVAC equipment, refrigeration motors and condensers, lighting fixtures, etc.
- Secure bids for capital projects related to the electrical systems and equipment within the UMC, and provide them to upper level supervisors for review and approval.
- Oversee projects and work with contractors to ensure that projects are being completed within code specifications and following University and State of Colorado codes and requirements.
- In the absence of the UMC maintenance supervisor, position may be asked to lead and direct the work of other maintenance staff members.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $53,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be empowered. Be positive. Be resourceful. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Journeyman Electrician's License
- Must possess a current valid Driver's License
What you will need:
- Must be able to work independently and complete job assignments in an appropriate prescribed amount of time
- Must be able to work well with others to complete job assignment
- Must possess good customer service skills
- Must be able to think critically and diagnose proper course of action when problems or issues arise and then resolve them in a timely fashion and proper manner
What we'd like you to have:
- Master Electrician's License
- Graduation from an accredited University or College
- Experience working at an institution of higher education
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by April 29, 2018.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at [email protected]. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-13078.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10430 - UMC-Administration
Posting Date: Apr 10, 2018
Closing Date: Apr 29, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00726835