IT SR DIRECTOR
Duties: Wharton Computing is seeking an experienced and engaged Senior IT Director with a real passion for people, process, and technology to lead the Staff and Student focused group within its Strategic Partnership team. This group collaborates with the staff and students the Wharton School to develop business-IT strategy, discover and develop a variety of impactful solutions, run projects, and engages in relationship management across the School.
The Senior IT Director acts as a bridge between the School's business needs and IT. They set strategic IT direction, based on feedback from a variety of constituencies and provide strategic consulting support and mentorship throughout business-IT initiatives. They facilitate, and serve as a lead, for the planning and execution of initiatives to enable the School to achieve objectives through the effective use of technology.
The Senior IT Director leads a variety of School wide projects requiring a very high level of collaboration with, and recruitment of, other Wharton Computing teams (e.g., Custom Applications, Core Services, Academic Reps), Penn teams (e.g., ISC, DAR), and vendors/consultants including improving existing in-house applications, developing new products, and crafting/improving IT policies, procedures, and training.
Individuals in this role must communicate clearly, negotiate, listen, mitigate conflict, build alliances and achieve desired results using good interpersonal skills and tact. They work closely with others on intangible issues across organizational and business-entity boundaries. Their knowledge of technology risks and opportunities are shared to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the School.
* Manage a team of 4 professional fulltime staff members.
* Establish and maintain a strategic relationship with business partners and IT
* Plan, participate in, set strategic direction based on short- and long term planning sessions with clients to improve business processes
* Participate and contribute to business client leadership meetings
* Understand and anticipate direction of business units; find opportunities and make recommendations to support their desired future state
* Prioritize IT initiatives based on business unit's needs and strategy, IT workload, and budget.
* Ensure resolution of raised IT issues
* Work with Administrative unit and student leadership to cultivate appropriate solution required to meet business unit goals
* Represent the business strategies and priorities to IT, and IT vision to Administrative/Student units
* Ensure Wharton Computing is aware of key business issues
* Lead change management activities (i.e., frequent communication to staff and clients about the change and the impact of change)
* Provide strategic consultation to business and IT teams and participate in quality reviews and provides feedback sessions
* Advise on options, risks, costs vs. benefits, and impacts on end-user products and services and business processes
* Ensure IT solutions support the organization's overall short-term and long-term business goals and align with IT strategy
* Identify, document, and monitor key business processes needed to achieve successful business results; map and document processes; develop framework for process improvement.
* Analyze technology trends to figure out impact to the achievement of School goals
Qualifications: A Master's Degree or more and over 10 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. 7-10 years of progressive responsibility with personnel and project management, systems integration, and end-user support, preferably in higher education. Demonstrated leadership, diplomacy and relationship building skills. Experience in strategic planning, business development, management and client engagement Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communications, and presentation skills. Proven problem-solving, mediation, and negotiation skills. ITSM/ITIL experience a plus. Experience with Salesforce is a plus.
Reference Number: 07-28438
Salary Grade: G
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: Wharton Computing and Instructional Technology (WCIT)
Job Family: E-Information Systems/Technology