Department: Campus Police
Location: Corporate College East
Reports To: Sergeant
Recruitment Type: External/Internal
Requisition ID: req177
Employment Type: Part-Time Support Staff
Vacancy Number: PT163-18
Union Position: Union
Work Schedule: Various shifts to include weekdays, weekends, and holidays.
Number of Openings: 1
Patrols facilities, buildings and property and detects unauthorized persons or activities and unsafe conditions. Maintains visibility to deter criminal activity.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- *Provides basic patrol to assigned areas/campus. Patrols various college buildings and/or property, which may include a specific location, building, assignment or special event.
- *Observes and reports faulty and /or unsafe utility equipment, reports obstructions in street or sidewalks, holes, leaking of faulty utility services or other unusual conditions that might endanger the public's safety.
- *Observes and reports criminal activity and other incidents or conditions that may jeopardize the safety and security of the community.
- Conducts preliminary investigations and assists higher level officer's in conducting fact-finding investigations or with specific projects.
- May appear in court as a witness regarding various incidents that occur in the College community as necessary.
- *Provides directions and other information to College personnel, students, and/or the general public.
- Admits authorized personnel to locked buildings during secure hours.
- *Maintains regular radio contact with the dispatch center to receive calls for service, to advise of unusual situations, and to request backup when necessary.
- Completes necessary administrative forms/reports as required.
- *Directs traffic, enforces parking regulations, services coin operated parking equipment, and collects special event parking fees.
- Provides assistance to local police agencies during emergencies.
- *Furnishes escort service and transports visitors, guests, staff and students as directed; makes authorized off-campus pick-ups and deliveries.
- Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to the essential functions of the position.
- Demonstrates regular attendance.
- Accesses and utilizes College prescribed software programs including, but not limited to, training, email and payroll information.
- *Performs other related duties as assigned.
* denotes Essential Function
- High School diploma or GED.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Possession of a State of Ohio Security Officer Certification.
- Valid Ohio Driver's license.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Current certifications in First Aid and CPR.
- Must successfully complete a basic firearms training course approved by the Ohio Training Commission. (Such training must be at least 20 hours of handgun training and shall include 5 additional hours for any additional firearms.)
- Must successfully pass yearly firearms qualifying tests.
- Must obtain certifications in AED, Awareness of HazMat, Weapons of Mass Destruction, and Personal Awareness Protection Equipment within the first 90 days of employment.
- Must possess either a “Class A License” that qualifies the person issued the license to engage in the business of private investigation and the business of security services and/or a “Class C License” that qualifies the person issued the license to engage only in the business of security services.
- Ability to maintain an objective approach to a problem under unpleasant circumstances, to enforce laws, to reason and make sound decisions in emergencies, to demonstrate skill in the use of firearms, criminal investigation equipment and other applicable equipment related to crime control and criminal apprehension.
- Skills in keyboarding, basic math and grammar, and basic or standard word processing (MS Word) and/or spreadsheet applications (MS Excel).
- Proficiency with an email software package (MS Outlook) and the Internet.
- Must be able to meet the College insurability requirements.
- Good moral character.
- Good physical conditioning.
- Must carry firearm identification card when on duty.
- Ability to satisfactorily complete a thorough background clearance, physical examination, polygraph or voice stress analysis and psychological evaluation. (Clear of felony convictions or misdemeanors associated with violence, which includes domestic violence, drugs (sale or use) and theft or fraud.
- Sensitivity to respond appropriately to the needs of a diverse population
- One (1) year of protective services experience in a security position.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Must be able to occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Must be able to regularly stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, and climb or balance. Must be able to frequently talk or hear, taste and smell. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds without assistance. Special vision requirements include close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to occasionally work with bio-hazards. Must be able to regularly work in wet or humid conditions, in outdoor weather conditions, and extreme cold or heat. Must be able to work in an environment with a moderate noise level.
Special Note:This is a Part-time AFSCME Bargaining Unit position, Grade 02. Part time AFSCME bargaining unit employees at Cuyahoga Community College will be considered first for vacant positions.
Target Hiring Rate/Salary Minimum of $17.94 an hour
Special Instructions to Applicants: During the application process, you may be required to attach a cover letter and/or resume. It is recommended that you have these documents ready to be attached electronically to the online application. This system accepts only MS Word or PDF attachments. Any employment with the College is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check and drug screen.
Affirmative Action Statement: Cuyahoga Community College is committed to attaining excellence through the recruitment and retention of a qualified and diverse workforce. Cuyahoga Community College is an equal employment/educational opportunity institution.