JOB NO.: 104170-FTF
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: VET M/SA II/SA-ONCOL
Categories: Animal Care, Veterinary Medicine
Employment Class: University Staff-Fixed Term Finite
Position Vacancy ID: 104170
Working Title: Veterinary Technician
Official Title: VETERINARY TECH 2(35302) or VETERINARY TECH 1(35301)
Hiring Department: A878750-SCHOOL OF VET MEDICINE/SA II/SA-ONCOL
Term: This is a Terminal appointment
This is an objective level Veterinary Technician position providing specialized technical support to the daily operational needs of the Oncology Service as it pertains to companion animal investigative clinical trials at UW Veterinary Care (UWVC). The position requires initiative to independently follow through with technical responsibilities. Requires the ability to lift a minimum of 50lbs. Independently and physical and manual dexterity to perform specialized technical tasks.
The objectives of this position are to provide technical and nursing support of investigative clinical trials in oncology through active involvement with clinical cases at UWVC. The specific objectives and duties of this position will include, but not be limited to the following:
1) Oversees daily receiving schedules with regard to patient visits pertaining to clinical trials, provides assistance and initiates changes as needed.
2) Develops knowledge and responsibility in area of specialization to include maintenance of special equipment, instructing others in use and care, assisting clinician and students in procedures.
3) Anticipates needs of clinicians, staff and students during oncology procedures and in primary animal care with an emphasis on patients enrolled in clinical trials.
4) Assists in the instruction of professional veterinary students and training of entry level Veterinary Technicians as requested.
5) Contributes to and participates in team building by assisting in problem-solving activities.
6) Scheduling, evaluation and care of clinical trials patients admitted to the Medical Oncology Service of UWVC.
- Specifically, this will involve intensive client communication regarding the clinical trial their pet is entering. Inform clients about future appointments and the study treatment protocol. Thus, client communication skills will be an important part of this position.
- The technician will assist the oncology clinicians which have primary case responsibility of clinical trial patients. They will always work as a member of a clinical trial team under the guidance of Dr. David Vail.
7) Clinical instruction of professional students assigned to the Senior Rotation in Small Animal Medical Oncology.
- As a member of a teaching section in UWVC, the technician will have daily exposure to senior veterinary students on the Oncology Rotation. The expectation is that the technician will work with senior veterinary students in the care of Oncology patients enrolled in clinical trials.
8) Assist in scheduling and routine communication with clients of companion animals involved in clinical trials. This includes consenting and educating the client about clinical trials.
The work is performed under supervision of the clinical trials clinicians.
Certification as Wisconsin Veterinary Technician or Eligibility to Obtain
Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm (1/2 hr. lunch)
This position is for 5 years only.
Anticipated Start Date-May 1, 2018
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )
Instructions to applicants:
Please click on the 'Apply Now' button. You will be asked to upload a current resume and cover letter briefly describing your qualifications relevant to the position. You will also be asked to provide contact information for three (3) references, including at least one current or former supervisor.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Probationary Period will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: Mar 13 2018 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: Mar 27 2018 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time