Director of Financial Aid
Hunter College at CUNY seeks a Director of Financial Aid to provide leadership and overall management for the College's student financial aid and services programs. Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs, in addition to the duties in the CUNY Title Overview, the Director of Financial Aid will serve as a key member of the College's Enrollment Management team that focuses on student success using strategies designed to enhance persistence, improve retention and increase overall graduation rates of undergraduate and graduate students.
- Designs outreach and communication programs on the strategic use of aid and scholarship for students.
- Oversees all aspects of student financial aid administration, day-to-day management and awarding of student financial assistance including scholarships and in accordance with applicable rules, regulations and policies.
- Provides high quality services to students, their families, and other relevant constituencies on financial aid matters.
- Provides leadership as a seasoned student-centric higher education professional in possession of a strong understanding of the broader implications for long-term financial planning and wellness.
- Provides regular reports on the financial health of Hunter students to inform enrollment management practices and decisions.
- Serves as College liaison to Federal, State, local and professional agencies on financial aid matters, including Federal, State and local reviews and audits.
- Uses industry standards and practices to assess and improve the timely and effective delivery of aid.
- Works closely and collaboratively with other College offices, including but not limited to the Registrar, the Bursar, Undergraduate Admissions & Recruitment, Graduate Admissions, Student Communications, Academic Advising and the Scholars Programs to ensure consistent, responsive and timely delivery of high quality and coordinated services to all constituencies.
- Works to develop a team of competent and confident financial and student affairs professionals; relaying industry standards, exploring untapped talents and fostering professional progress.
Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience required.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS The candidate should demonstrate:
- Prior financial aid services experience in higher education.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and professional presentation at all times; possessing the ability to provide outstanding customer service in a fast paced and deadline driven environment.
- Strategic understanding of the internal role of financial aid in supporting student enrollment and a vision of student success that relies on a sturdy foundation of excellent service to students.
- A record of education and outreach regarding financial aid matters, policies and programs.
- An ability to integrate Financial Aid services into a one-stop model for the delivery of all enrollment management services.
- Commitment to serving students in an urban and diverse campus community and an appreciation for the principles of a high quality liberal arts education.
- Commitment to transparent processes and procedures that uphold the integrity of the academic mission of the College and a dedication to the vision of the President as outlined in the College's Strategic Plan.
- Proficiency in computer software, including Microsoft suite and People Soft/Oracle and People Tools.
- Familiarity with the most recent methods of data collection, research methodologies, and web-based technology as it relates to financial aid; and be able to adapt to changing environments, technology, policies, legislation, and the needs of the students.
- Demonstrates strong supervisory experience and a commitment to the professional development of staff along with an ability to provide honest and constant professional feedback to staff while upholding standards of excellence.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Develops and oversees student financial aid programs in accordance with Federal/State laws and regulations and University guidelines.
- Develops and interprets financial aid policies and procedures with regard to Federal and NY State programs such as internal loan programs, all state and federal loan programs, Stafford Loans, Perkins Loans, College Work Study, and Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
- Reports on general and fiscal matters such as program expenditures, projections of full-year spending potential, and analyses of spending patterns
- Authorizes the disbursement of funds
- Monitors compliance with Federal and State financial aid regulations, developing and implementing compliance procedures
- Serves as College liaison to Federal, State, local and professional agencies on financial aid matters
- Assures that the Financial Aid function works effectively with other College units (e.g., Admissions, Registrar, Bursar)
- Manages financial aid staffing, development, and evaluation
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Officer
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefit. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters. Incomplete application packages will not be considered.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin April 23, 2018
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
Job Title: Director of Financial Aid (Division of Student Affairs)
Job ID: 18566
Location: Hunter College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.