Assistant Professor of Secondary Education
The Department of Education at Nebraska Wesleyan University seeks applicants for a position as Assistant Professor of Education to begin August 2018. The successful candidate should be a dynamic educator with a passion for teaching and student learning. This is a full-time, 9 month, tenure-track position with the responsibility to teach in both the undergraduate and M.Ed. program. Our growing undergraduate and graduate programs have both day and evening programs on campuses in Lincoln and Omaha, Nebraska.
* Teach undergraduate courses in the Department of Education
* Teach graduate courses in the M.Ed. program
* Supervise student teachers, practicum teachers, and graduate students
* Advise graduate and undergraduate students
* Collaborate with department colleagues on issues related to the education programs
* Teaching secondary methods courses (e.g., math, science, social studies, modern language, business)
* Teach technology
* Serve on department, university, and statewide committees as part of their service
* Engage in scholarship and professional development
* Earned doctorate from an accredited institution by August 1, 2018. Exceptional candidates with significant progress in a doctoral program may be considered.
* Evidence of successful teaching at the 6-12 or university levels within the United States is required (minimum three years).
* Preference will be given to candidates able to develop and offer courses in one or more of the following areas: Reaching Underserved and Diverse Student Populations, Foundations of Education, Elementary Methods, Action Research, Reflective Practice, or Flourishing
* Familiarity with Canvas course technology or similar LMS software is a plus.
* Excellent relevant interpersonal, written and verbal communication and problem solving skills
* Ability to work independently and collaboratively with faculty and students is essential.
* Work ethic that promotes teamwork, enhances creativity and motivation, and builds consensus in a high-energy and high-task environment
* A positive attitude and a sense of humor
*Strong commitment to student-centered active learning and student engagement activities
* Demonstrated engagement in scholarly and/ or professional development activities including appropriate research, presentations and publications
* Qualifications to maintain academic qualifications and to meet the NDE requirements for teaching in the undergraduate program
* Qualifications to supervise student teachers and practicum students for a range of grade levels
* Experience, knowledge and appreciation for a liberal arts tradition
* Commitment and a demonstrated record of academic excellence with professional and personal integrity
* Ability and flexibility to accept instructional assignments in both Lincoln and Omaha that may include day and evenings, as well as a valid driver’s license and access to transportation are required.
Commitment to Diversity:
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, sexual identity and orientation, veteran status, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send letter of application addressing qualifications, current curriculum vitae, the names of three professional references and unofficial transcripts to Maria Harder at [email protected]. Review of applications will begin immediately with a submission deadline of April 30, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Please visit the NWU website for more information about our institution: nebrwesleyan.edu