Laboratory & Research Specialist, Senior
The Virginia Institute of Marine Science invites highly qualified applicants to apply for the Laboratory & Research Specialist, Senior position.
The ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor's degree in Biology or Chemistry with demonstrated experience in DNA and RNA extractions and quantitative PCR of eDNA samples. Additionally, the candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability work effectively with students, staff and research faculty.
The Laboratory & Research Specialist II assist in the execution and management of microbial ecological experiments.
- Assists, organizes, and performs field and lab data collection.
- Performs sample processing including DNA and RNA extraction, PCR, DNA sequencing, chemical analysis of nutrients, bioinformatics analysis.
- Leads and assists team in documenting, labeling, and storing samples. Enters data into databases with appropriate QA/QC.
- Assists in data analysis and produces data for manuscripts.
- Orders supplies and maintains lab inventories. Maintains SOPs and ensure lab safety.
- Supervises use of hazardous chemicals. Trains students and lab visitors in the proper
handling of hazardous chemicals to minimize the chance of accidents.
- Maintains a clean laboratory and disposes of waste in a timely fashion.
Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry or the equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
- Working knowledge and experience in biogeochemcial, microbial and molecular biological research.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety protocols and experimental procedures with the ability to adhere to detailed experimental protocols.
- Knowledge of lab and field sampling data collection, with ability to assist in field and lab processing.
- Basic computer proficiency, with the ability to use a variety of software and database systems, with ability to perform data entry.
- Strong attention to detail, with the ability to work independently and use sound judgment in performing responsibilities.
- Effective oral and written communication skills with the ability to work as a cohesive team member.
- Experience in collections and performing sample processing.
- Experience working in field or in lab operations.
- Experience in molecular techniques including DNA and RNA extraction from soils and sediments, PCR, qPCR, DNA sequencing.
- Experience in chemical analysis of nutrients and data analysis.
- Experience with computer programs including MS office suite.
Bachelor’s degree in Biology or Chemistry with and directly related research experience is desirable.
- Working knowledge and experience in nutrient analysis of environmental samples, bacterial cultivation and eDNA works.
- Demonstrated ability to train graduate and undergraduate students in molecular biology techniques and chemical analytical techniques.
- Advanced computer proficiency, with the ability of bioinformatics analysis.
- Evidence of a manuscript or report writing
- Proficiency in molecular techniques including DNA and RNA extraction from soils and sediments, PCR, qPCR, DNA sequencing.
- Proficiency in chemical analysis\ of nutrients and data analysis.
- Experience in bioinformatics program to analyze DNA sequence data.
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.