Director, English Language Center
The Director of English Language Center (ELC) provides leadership for all programs of the Center including Intensive English, conditional admissions and special programs. Other departmental responsibilities also include supervision of the International Teaching Assistant program and standardized testing (IELTS and TOEFL).
The Director of the ELC provides programmatic and administrative leadership, including oversight of the budget, personnel, vision, guidance and goal setting. The Director also works closely with other Drexel units on issues related to international student support and undergraduate/graduate conditional admissions programs. The Director represents the English Language Center throughout the University community and participates in university-wide groups and committees related to international students.This position reports to the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.
1. Master's degree in TESOL, Applied Linguistics or a closely related field; PhD preferred.
2. Minimum of five years of directly related academic, administrative and supervisory experience in higher education.
3. Knowledge of budgetary planning and personnel management.
4. Facility with current technologies, including student management systems.
5. International experience and demonstrated commitment to diversity and multiculturalism.
6. Demonstrated skills working within a university setting with in-depth understanding of higher education culture.
7. Demonstrated ability to build, maintain and strengthen organizational capacity.
8. Strategic planning, project management and risk management ability.
9.Strong interpersonal, public relations and communication skills.
1. Doctoral degree in Foreign/Second Language Education, Applied Linguistics, International Education or Higher Education or a closely related field.
2. Professional experience working or studying internationally.
3. Competency in or advanced study of at least one language other than English.
1. Develop and implement the mission, vision, organizational structure and strategic goals of the department consistent within the overall goals and programs of the College of Arts and Sciences (CoAS) and Drexel University.
2. Ensure the overall integrity of program mission and philosophy, quality of curriculum and instruction, assessments and effectiveness of ELC programs and student services.
3. In collaboration with the ELC Finance Director and the CoAS Associate Dean for Finance and Administration, plan and prepare an annual budget. Lead the work of the department to comply with budgeted financial resources and performance standards.
4. Oversee staff responsible for faculty hiring, orientation, and professional development, including promotion, as appropriate.
5. Conduct performance reviews for full-time professional staff and faculty.
6. Serve on the ELC Management and Recruitment & Marketing committees. Direct regular departmental meetings. Represent ELC to other programs and departments in the University and outside of the University.
7. In consultation with staff, develop short and long range plans for programs, identify strategies and provide leadership.
8. In cooperation with ELC staff, seek additional funding to support and expand programming and ways to incorporate ELC into additional University academic programs.
9. Supervise negotiation and management of short term programs, with a particular focus on externally funded grants and projects.
10. Oversee staff to develop and implement conditional admissions program.
11. Complete all CEA, UCIEP and other professional reports and accreditation as required.
12. Review and select potential supplementary projects, following up with written proposals when appropriate.
1. Keep current with significant developments in the field of ESL/ELL and TESOL.
2. Represent programs and services to various publics.
3. Serve as the ELC's official representative to UCIEP meetings.
4. Promote and encourage continued faculty development through conference attendance/in-service training, scholarship, etc.
5. Promote ELC with other universities to establish partnership bridge programs.
6. Actively support the University's affirmative action, equal opportunity and diversity initiatives.
Assist in other projects as requested by the Dean of College of Arts and Sciences.
Other duties as assigned.
Supplemental Posting Information:
Drexel University offers an attractive benefits package including tuition remission, a generous retirement package with matching funds (up to 11 percent) and an opportunity to join a talented team of professionals directly helping the University achieve its record growth and quality reputation.
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, welcomes individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, and believes that an inclusive and respectful environment enriches the University community and the educational and employment experience of its members. The University prohibits discrimination against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, status as a veteran or special disabled veteran, gender identity or expression, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions and any other prohibited characteristic. Please visit our website to view all University Policies and Workplace Postings.
Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made. Employment may not begin until the University accepts the results of the background investigation.
To apply for this position, please apply online at: www.drexeljobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=82864 or visit www.drexeljobs.com and search for Director, English Language Center. The requisition number is 8612
For more information about Drexel University, please visit www.drexel.edu.