Human Resources Generalist
For over 40 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
- Responsible for classification and compensation including reclassification and reorganization, and currency of job descriptions.
- Oversees the performance appraisal and evaluation process. Identifies approaches for effective supervision, performance management and corrective action.
- Coordinate the processing of faculty salary adjustments, lane advancement and step placement including the interpretation of policy for deans, faculty, etc., as required.
- Collaborate with Sr. Manager to provide guidance to employees and supervisors in resolving conflicts and promote effective working relationships. Assist employees in responding to disciplinary or performance counseling; advise administrators and supervisors when considering employment action for performance issues.
- Research and compile data for pre-disciplinary meetings and grievances, attend meetings as requested, and provide recommendations as appropriate.
- Administers various human resource plans and procedures for all organization personnel; assists in the development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures; prepares and maintains the employee handbook and the policies and procedures manual.
- Supports and performs benefits administration, including claims resolution, change reporting, approving invoices for payment and communicating benefits information to employees.
- Supports the development and maintenance of affirmative action program; responsibilities may include filing EEO-1 report annually; and maintaining other records, reports and logs to conform to EEO regulations.
- Interpret college policies and procedures, collective bargaining agreements and applicable statutes and regulations.
- Coordinate and perform other special HR related projects as assigned. Includes research, assessment, analysis of data and reporting as required.
- Master's degree with PHR or SPHR certification preferred; or Bachelors with PHR or SPHR certification required.
- Minimum of three years of human resources experience required. One to three years of HR experience and knowledge in higher education preferred. Supervisory experience a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of policies, federal and state laws as they relate to HR policies, practices and procedures, benefit programs, employee and labor relations, salary administration, recruitment techniques, EEO and Affirmative Action planning.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to write and present educational programs, make presentations to large groups and be able to give and receive advice and opinions in situations requiring sensitivity and tact.
- A high level of interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to write and present educational programs and to make presentations to large groups. Must be able to give and receive advice and opinions and interact with individuals in situations requiring sensitivity and tact.
- Ability to exercise considerable judgment and discretion in establishing and maintaining good working relationships.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and confidential assignments, organize work, and function independently and effectively under heavy workloads and during peak periods.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student and employee populations.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and general office software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to travel between campus locations.
HOURS: Monday through Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
Working conditions/Physical Conditions
Ability to travel between campus locations
Light lifting up to 10 lbs and light carrying up to 10 lbs. Ability to reach above shoulder. Periods of time spent sitting, standing, walking, kneeling, bending and stooping. Mobility to move from building to building on-Campus and to visit off-Campus entities. Work is performed in a general office environment and is sedentary in nature. Little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.