Secretary Senior - Spokane Campus
Eastern Washington University seeks an experienced Senior Secretary to support the College of Business and Public Administration, located on Eastern's Spokane campus (adjacent to downtown Spokane).
This is a full time position that is responsible for performing complex senior secretarial duties. The position will provide support to the Departments of Accounting and Finance/Marketing.
Representative duties include the following (see Job Duties section for complete list of position responsibilities):
- Coordinate office activities, establish priorities and deadlines in consultation with department chair and faculty
- Maintain multiple calendars
- Arrange meetings, notify participants, take minutes as requested.
- Provide support for special events.
- Prepare and proof typed documents, compose and/or process correspondence, form letters, envelopes, mailing labels, handouts, forms and other routine materials.
- Compile and produce reports, studies, schedules, test materials, evaluations, and other documents using complex spreadsheets and word processing.
- Reconcile department budgets. Prepare/route accurate financial documents including invoices, open orders, vouchers, purchase requisitions, purchase orders, Foundation vouchers.
- Provide student and course related support services.
- Perform routine office support tasks such as answering telephones and office reception; communicate via existing tools such as telephone and electronic mail; prepare and send department-wide emails as needed; sort and distribute mail; route correspondence and inquiries, assist visitors; order, receive and maintain inventory of general supplies; operate office equipment incidental to job duties.
Screening of applications will begin April 16, 2018. References will not be contacted until candidates have been notified.
About Eastern Washington University
Eastern Washington University is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern's Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.
Eastern is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
- High school graduation or equivalent
- At least two years' of increasingly responsible office experience requiring keyboarding or typing; part time experience will qualify, but will be pro-rated to its full time equivalent
- Strong computer skills demonstrated by two years of successful full time work experience using a variety of software programs (MS Office Applications)
- Two years' full time work experience maintaining both manual and electronic records and files
- Two years' full time work experience demonstrating success handling a high volume of customer contact and providing customer service; to be considered qualifying, experience must include communications with a wide variety of different kinds of “customers,” such as other agencies, professionals in the community, internal staff/managers/administrators, students, applicants; and communications must include both verbal/telephonic, email, and written correspondence; “high volume” means receipt of an average of 100 customer contacts on a daily basis to include email, telephone calls, visitors, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal accessibility, of our students, faculty, staff and the public.
- Two or more years' college coursework
- Two or more years' work experience in higher education
- Experience using Canvas, EagleNet, Banner, and other university administrative systems, or equivalent
- Two years' full time work experience with demonstrated success in the following areas:
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written,
- Ability to successfully handle a demanding workload with overlapping deadlines and which required great attention to detail,
- Perseverance, initiative, and ability to function equally well taking direction and working independently, and in an environment characterized by interruptions throughout the work day