Associate Director of Academic Skills Program
Open date: February 20th, 2018
Next review date: March 7th, 2018
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: April 2nd, 2018
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Associate Director of Academic Skills will develop and teach courses in the curriculum and develop and deliver programs to promote the academic success of students at the law school and the successful matriculation of students into the legal profession. The Associate Director's primary responsibility will be to develop and teach courses in the curriculum aimed at improving students' legal analysis and writing skills. Additionally, the Associate Director will develop and deliver workshop programming and work with students individually and in small group and large group settings to improve various academic skills, such as exam taking and time management. The Associate Director will also provide feedback to students on practice exams and exercises throughout their law school career as well as pre- and post-graduate study for bar examinations.
In collaboration with the Director of Academic Skills, the Assistant Dean for Student Services, the Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, the Executive Director of Student Affairs, and law school faculty members, the Associate Director of Academic Skills will have the following job responsibilities including, but not limited to:
• Develop and implement a cohesive, successive curriculum for students across all departmental programming, including from first-year through post-graduate study for bar examination;
• Develop and teach one or more courses in the curriculum to improve legal analysis and writing skills;
• Develop and deliver a comprehensive workshop program for first-year students on topics including class preparation, study habits, case briefing, outlining, and exam taking;
• Work closely with first-year faculty members to design and administer exercises in doctrinal subjects, and to provide individual and group feedback;
• Provide individual academic counseling to all law students;
• Develop and teach 3L-year and post-graduation summer bar-exam preparation programs that include individual counseling, workshops, and feedback on practice exams;
• Hire, train, and manage staff to help with delivery of various academic skills services and programs to students, including Program Assistant, Academic Skills Fellows, and Academic Skills Specialists;
• Manage budgets for different programs within the department, including first-year programs, courses in the curriculum, summer bar-exam preparation program, books and materials, staffing, and general departmental research and development; and
• Collaborate with professionals within the department, within the Law School, and from other law schools across the country to research and present on topics relevant to the ASP industry.
Candidates for the position must have:
(1) A J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school and a record of academic and extracurricular success in law school;
(2) Admission to a state bar, preferably California;
(3) At least three years of experience in law teaching with a focus on legal writing and analysis, and/or law school academic skills;
(4) Familiarity with the format and subjects tested on the California Bar Exam;
(5) Superior written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills;
(6) The ability to think imaginatively and critically about techniques to improve law students' academic development, and to design, implement, and manage innovative classes and programs to promote that development;
(7) The ability to handle confidential information, exhibit good judgment, and exemplify customer service in working with students, faculty, and staff;
(8) The ability to work collaboratively with a diverse and growing population of students, faculty, and administrators; and
(9) The ability to juggle multiple competing priorities and meet firm deadlines.
Nature of Appointment
The Associate Director of Academic Skills reports to the Director of Academic Skills and works closely with the Assistant Dean of Student Services, the Executive Director of Student Affairs, and the Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. The position is a full-time, twelve-month academic appointment. This is not a faculty appointment, and residence during the summer is expected. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, applicants should submit the following materials:
- Cover letter
- Relevant publications and/or writing samples
- Contact information for three references
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity
For more information about UCI Law, visit: www.law.uci.edu.
Interested candidates should submit application materials using UC Irvine's online application system, AP Recruit: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04457
The University of California Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. A recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity, UCI is responsive to the needs of dual career couples, supports work-life balance through an array of family-friendly policies, and is dedicated to broadening participation in higher education.
Job location Irvine, CA
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Relevant Publications and/or Writing Samples
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
3-5 references required (contact information only)
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now