Residential Assistant - Seasonal Upward Bound Math & Science (Pool)
Since 1963, Mount Wachusett Community College has built a tradition of providing innovative undergraduate education, workforce development, personal enrichment, and community service to North Central Massachusetts and beyond. Located in Gardner, MA, with satellite campuses in Fitchburg, Leominster and Devens, MWCC now serves approximately 12,000 credit and noncredit students each year and offers over 70 associate degree and credit certificate options. An award-winning, national leader in the area of renewable energy, MWCC is also nationally recognized for its veterans' services, civic engagement and K-12 partnerships.
We hope you will consider applying for one of our open positions, and discover all that Mount Wachusett Community College and the North Central Massachusetts region have to offer.
General Statement of Duties
Provides supervision, guidance and support as well as academic enrichment and recreational programming to summer program participants
- Provide daily supervision to residential program participants
- Mentor and support low income, first-generation high school students in college preparation activities
- Lead students through small group activities and take attendance at all meals and activities
- Develop and facilitate enrichment curriculum of cultural, co-curricular and recreational programming
- Assist students with academic projects as needed
- Chaperone student outings and college visits
- Communicate student needs and concerns to Director as appropriate.
- Assist program participants during structured study sessions
- Partner with other RAs to create, publicize and supervise large group activities
- Maintain adequate grant documentation
- Other duties as assigned by Student Activity Officer or Director.
- Must be able to pass comprehensive Criminal Offender Record Investigation and Sexual Offender Registry Information
- Must reside on Fitchburg State University campus while summer program is in session;
- Experience with college math and science research helpful;
- Ability to coach students in Math (Algebra I, II and/or Geometry) preferred, but not required
- Enrollment in an Associate or Bachelor's degree program required;
- Minimum of two years' work experience with low income, disadvantaged and/or minority youth preferred;
- Experience as a College RA preferred;
- Sensitivity and maturity level to successfully work in a residential program required;
- Desire to help disadvantaged youth succeed;
- Ability to interact with diverse constituencies including other program personnel, Fitchburg State University personnel, parent/guardians and students;
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing to participants and parent/guardians required;
- Preference for candidates who are from low-income and first generation backgrounds and/or are bilingual or bi-cultural.
Salary: Compensation is $3000.00 for entire program (Grant Funded)
Residential Assistant from June 18, 2018 August 4, 2018 at Fitchburg State University Campus. Room and Board is included. Must reside on FSU campus Monday-Friday.
Employee Status: Part Time Seasonal
Number of Weeks: 7
Mount Wachusett Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, religion, age, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation or sexual violence shall be referred to the College's Affirmative Action and/or Title IX Coordinator, the Massachusetts Commission against Discrimination, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
The following documents are required:
2. Cover Letter
Deadline Date: Open Until Filled
Candidates may be subject to employment screening to include both a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) request and a Sexual Offender Registry Information (SORI).