Course Instructor, Math Center
The course instructor for the WGU Math Center is responsible for assisting students in identifying and correcting deficiencies in math skills at various levels. The course instructor will work with students to develop a plan for success and assist students with content across the range of WGU math courses. S/he will work with students through communities, proactive outreach, live events, individual appointments, and other resources to help the student develop mathematical skills and literacy. The applicant needs to have subject matter expertise teaching mathematics courses across all skill levels. Areas of focus include basic foundational math, Math for Elementary Educators, algebra, probability and statistics, pre-calculus, calculus and discrete math. Successful applicants will be able to work a varied schedule, which includes evenings and weekends.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Serve students whose math content needs go beyond the scope of the course instructor's role
- Serve students who are in technically-based courses, such as science or business courses, that require math literacy
- Assist students in identifying and correcting math deficiencies
- Work with students to develop a plan for success, especially providing study skills for math content and texts
- Actively engage students in math literacy, computational mental math, and basic skills to help in math confidence and achievement
- Assist students in the IT College with pre-calculus, calculus and discrete math
- Host weekly webinars on selected math topics
- Work collaboratively with Program Development Management to select/develop appropriate resources
- Work collaboratively with Program Mentors and Course Instructors to develop individualized study plans for students
- Developing strategies to help at-risk students.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in math or a closely-related field
- Experience working in math remediation preferred.
- Experience teaching basic foundational math, Math for Elementary Educators, algebra, and probability and statistics.
- Experience teaching pre-calculus, calculus and discrete math is also desired for occasional support of IT College students.
- Experience teaching mathematics, in a classroom and/or tutoring setting.
- Experience teaching adult learners in a higher-education setting is preferred; high school level teaching experience will also be considered.
- Understanding and appreciation of competency-based education.
- Demonstrated ability to work with struggling students.
- Experience working in distance/adult learning environment is preferred.
- Documented use of technology-based delivery systems.
WORK FROM HOME, United States