Administrative Assistant-Information Technology (IT)
Administrative Assistant-Information Technology (IT)
Closing Date/Time: 4/27/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full-time
Department: Information Technology
The currently advertised full-time, 100% (40 hrs per week) Administrative Assistant provides varied and complex office administrative and secretarial assistance to the Director of Information Technology and associated staff; performs related duties as required or assigned.
In addition, an Administrative Assistant position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other full-time, part-time, or substitute assignments.
- Serves as the liaison between the Director of Information Technology and students, staff, faculty, community organizations, governmental agencies, contractors, vendors and others by providing information and assistance, or schedules, procedures, and requirements and resolving administrative problems
- Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls
- Screens requests and schedules appointments with students, staff, faculty and others
- Receives complaints and concerns from faculty, staff, students and others and responds appropriately in accordance with College policy
- Performs a variety of administrative support duties such as coordinating the administrative details of programs such as planning, scheduling the use of College vehicles, receiving and directing requests for building maintenance, and attending meetings and preparing minutes.
- Prepares and processes a variety of purchase orders and similar documents
- Reviews and verifies a variety of transactions, payments and other data
- Monitors budget allocations and expenditures, maintains financial and statistical records and prepares financial reports
- Assists in developing program budgets
- Researches and compiles a variety of informational materials from sources both inside and outside the office, including material for submission to the Governing Board
- Drafts, edits and prepares agenda items for the Governing Board
- Assists in the selection of support staff or student assistants
- May direct the work of assigned staff on a project or day-to-day basis
- Provides work instruction as required
- Opens and sorts mail, attaches pertinent back-up materials and prepares responses
- Prepares a wide variety of finished documents including instructional and administrative materials from brief instructions or prior materials
- Inputs or retrieves data and prepares reports using a computer and various software
- Maintains the administrator's calendar
- Schedules, arranges for and attends meetings and prepares minutes
- Reviews finished materials for completeness, accuracy, format, compliance with policies and procedures, and appropriate English usage
- Prepares and/or reviews for accuracy timecards and other personnel documents
- Organizes own work, sets priorities, and meets critical deadlines
- Makes travel and lodging reservations
- Organizes and maintains various files which may involve confidential information
- Purges files as appropriate
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school AND three (3) years of secretarial experience providing office and administrative support.
Two (2) years of college-level coursework in business or office administration and experience in an educational setting.
- Standard office administrative and secretarial practices and procedures, including filing and business letter writing
- Organization and function of an educational institution
- The terminology and basic principles and concepts of Information Technology
- The operation of standard office equipment, including a computer and appropriate software
- Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar, punctuation and vocabulary
- Recordkeeping and filing principles and practices
- Basic budgetary principles and standard business mathematics
- Providing varied office administrative and secretarial assistance to administrative staff
- Organizing work, setting priorities, meeting critical deadlines and following up on assignments with a minimum of direction
- Researching, compiling and summarizing a variety of information
- Directing the work of staff and providing instruction in work procedures
- Establishing and maintaining detailed and accurate records and files
- Composing correspondence independently or from brief guidelines
- Using initiative and judgment within established guidelines
- Maintaining confidentiality of information
- Maintaining the calendar for the administrator
- Understanding and following oral and written directions
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work
- Ability to type or operate a keyboard with sufficient speed and accuracy to enter data and prepare correspondence and reports in a timely manner
Salary: *$3,434 to $3,786 per month to start; seven-step schedule to $4,602 per month. Full-time, (40 hours per week), 12 months per year; Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Classified employees are required to join the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis. Position scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued categorical funding and Governing Board ratification. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
*Cabrillo College reserves the right at its discretion to hire classified and confidential employees at a higher starting step placement, up to step three, in acknowledgement of an individual's previous job-related work experience. Please note: It is the applicants responsibility to ensure their application materials include the work related experience they wish to be considered for a higher step placement. The Human Resources department will make their determination based on the information in the application materials received.
Cabrillo College currently provides a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues or service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate of gross salary per month.
**To be considered, each applicant MUST SUBMIT:
- Completed online Cabrillo College Application
- Job-related resume
- Documentation such as college transcripts in response to this position's desirable qualifications of two (2) years of college-level coursework in business or office administration and experience in an educational setting.
Please notify the Human Resources Department if you require any special accommodation(s) in meeting these requirements.
Please Note: To ensure an accurate evaluation of your application materials, please submit information regarding your education, experience, knowledge and abilities as they relate to the minimum qualifications. When filling out the online application, it is important that you fill out all sections completely. Do not leave blank spaces/sections or note "see resume". When adding attachments, please redact ALL of the following items which appear on any attachment before you submit it: personal photos, social security number, birth place, birth date, age, and gender.
Selection Procedure: Applications will be reviewed by a search committee, which will determine the applicants to invite for interviews based on appraisal of qualifications as documented by application materials submitted. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an invitation for an interview. Performance exam(s) may be administered.
Candidates selected for employment with Cabrillo College must agree to be fingerprinted, provide current tuberculosis screening results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States and present a valid Social Security card upon hire.
Application Deadline: Application and attached required materials MUST be successfully submitted by 11:59 p.m. on: Friday, April 27, 2018.
Cabrillo College seeks applications from all qualified individuals. It is the continuing goal of Cabrillo College to hire and retain staff that reflect the rich diversity and cultural heritage of the college district and its student body.
Cabrillo College currently provides full-time employees a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents. Please note: Employee who work part-time contracts will receive a pro rata benefit stipend based on the percentage of assignment.
Full-time and *part-time classified employees are required to join the California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis.
Note: Classified-hourly employees are not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues, service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate based on gross salary per month.
*Part-time refers to 1,000 hours/125 days or more per fiscal year.
To apply, please visit: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cabrilloedu