INSTRUCTIONAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN I, MEDICAL ASSISTING
INSTRUCTIONAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN I, MEDICAL ASSISTING
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Position #: 1800041
Cover Letter, Resume/CV
CLASSIFIED EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Business and Workforce Development
First Review Date:
San Jose City College
$38,443 - $46,954 Annual Salary (Range 56: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2016-2017). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes District paid medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, sick leave and 18 paid holidays.
The Instructional Laboratory Technician I, Medical Assisting reports to the Division Dean of Business & Workforce at San Jose City College. The work schedule is 12 months per year; Monday - Friday; 10:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. This classified position is grant funded and is contingent upon yearly funding.
Performs support services for a variety of courses in the Medical Assisting instructional program by providing materials, supplies, equipment and related logistical support to lecture, laboratory and other instructional activities; issues, stores, and maintains laboratory materials, equipment and related supplies. General supervision is provided by management or supervisory personnel. Technical and functional supervision may also be provided by instructional or higher level classified personnel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintain and assure the security of the assigned instructional laboratory facility and related areas. 2. Dispense and retrieve equipment, tools, materials and reusable supplies which support laboratory or lecture activities. 3. Label and file equipment, materials and supplies. 4. Discuss laboratory activities and scheduled events with instructors; prepare and assemble supplies needed. 5. Prepare, transport, set up, and take down materials and equipment used in instructional laboratory demonstrations, exercises, scenarios, and other activities. 6. Clean and/or sterilize glassware, instruments, and other equipment used in laboratory exercises and ensure their safekeeping. 7. Assist with periodic inventory and maintaining adequate stock levels of equipment, materials and supplies. 8. Report need for repair on laboratory equipment and place service calls as authorized. 9. Maintain simple records, logs and reports. 10. Assist with general maintenance of assigned laboratory facilities. 11. Perform other duties reasonably related to the job classification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS Knowledge of: 1. Materials, tools, and supplies used in the Medical Assisting laboratory and proper/safe handling. 2. Current safety standards related to a medical laboratory environment. 3. Basic procedures and practices of maintaining a supply room and storage area. 4. Supply and inventory procedures for the effective maintenance of stock levels. 5. Modern office practices and procedures including filing and the operation of office equipment including personal and on-line computer. Skills and Ability to: 1. Observe safety precautions when using hazardous equipment, materials, and supplies. 2. Operate with a significant degree of independence. 3. Apply language skills to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. 4. Write simple correspondence and effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees or students. 5. Apply basic mathematical skill to add and subtract, multiply and divide using weight measurement and volume. 6. Utilize reasoning skills to apply commonsense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolving written or oral instructions; deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations. 7. Effectively communicate and interact with persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities. 8. Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and completion of one-year certificate program from college or technical school; or three to six months related experience and/training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve ;and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse classified staff consisting of 41% Hispanic/Latino, 26% Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 22% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Email: [email protected]
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities