Assistant/Associate Professor - Music Education (choral track)
The University of Mary Hardin Baylor’s College of Visual and Performing Arts seeks an Assistant / Associate Professor for Music Education (choral track) for its Music Department beginning Fall 2018. This tenure-track position will also serve as the Program Coordinator for Music Education.
UMHB seeks faculty who are active Christians and dedicated teacher-scholars to prepare students for leadership, service, and faith-informed discernment in a global society.
The Music Department offers the following undergraduate degree programs:
- BM in Music Education (choral and instrumental tracks)
- BM in Performance (piano and vocal tracks)
- BM in Church Music
- BA in Music Business
- BA in Music
- Church Music Minor
- Music Minor
UMHB is conveniently located in Belton, an historic town of over 20,000 in the heart of central Texas. Excellent schools, abundant cultural and recreational opportunities, and a high quality of life are hallmarks of the local community.
Faculty Responsibilities: Activities required of all faculty include exemplary teaching and service to department, college, and university.
Specific Responsibilities: Teach undergraduate courses in the field of music education. Serve as Program Coordinator of Music Education and as academic advisor to all music education (choral track) majors. Assist College of Education with student teacher placements and supervision of student teachers (K-12, choral). Develop and maintain relationships with area music educators and school districts. Possess the ability to assess and revise a music education curriculum. Additional undergraduate teaching assignments may include Aural Skills and Theory. The teaching load is typically 12 hours per semester undergraduate courses with three course preparations.
- Terminal degree (Ph.D, DME, DMA, or Ed.D) in Music Education with a specialty in choral music is required.
- A minimum of five or more years of K-12 public school teaching experience is required with a strong preference for expertise in elementary music education.
- A minimum of three years of collegiate level teaching is required. Five years or more preferred.
- Certification in Kodaly and/or Orff methodology strongly preferred.
- On or before contract start date, must possess a current and valid Texas teacher certification.
- Excellent teaching and communication skills, a dedication to professional attainment, and commitment to quality improvement are essential.
- Must be an active, and committed Christian.
Salaries & Benefits: Competitive salary commensurate with experience, excellent benefits including medical and dental insurance, retirement plan with match and UMHB tuition benefits for employees and their dependents.
TO APPLY: Visit www.hr.umhb.edu/careers for more details and to apply. Please submit a cover letter, CV, transcript copies and evidence of quality teaching performance with your online application. Your letter of interest should also respond to UMHB’s mission and values, found at http://about.umhb.edu/our-mission. In addition, include in one page or less, a description of your own Christian beliefs and commitments. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.