Curriculum Fellow for the Master of Medical Sciences in Immunology
Institution: Harvard Medical School
Location: Boston, MA
Category: Faculty - Science
Type: Full Time
The Harvard Medical School (HMS) Program in Graduate Education invites applications for a Curriculum Fellow (CF) supporting the Master of Medical Sciences (MMSc) program in Immunology. For more information about this graduate program see http://mmscimmunology.hms.harvard.edu/. The primary focus of this position will be the development of graduate-level curriculum in immunology for the students in the MMSc program in immunology, with additional responsibilities overseeing TAs in the Harvard Immunology PhD program.
- Collaborate with program faculty to develop and revise the curriculum for three graduate level courses in immunology:
- An immunology methods course, with a primer in core molecular, cellular and quantitative biology concepts
- A course focused on reading primary literature and science communication
- A graduate-level introduction to immunology taken by both MMSc and PhD students.
- Serve as an instructor in courses 1 and 2 above.
- Serve on the admissions committee for the MMSc program and conduct interviews with applicants.
- Work with program leadership to oversee other aspects of the training program, including student advising and paracurricular programming.
- An earned doctorate in immunology or a closely related field
- Experience teaching graduate or undergraduate students
- Advanced knowledge of molecular biology and immunology research methods, such as flow cytometry (preferred)
- Postdoctoral research and/or teaching experience (preferred)
Job Skills and Competencies
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple faculty and administrative partners to develop new courses and educational/training opportunities
- Experience applying pedagogical best practices to the classroom, including evidence-based teaching methods and technological innovations
- Ability to work independently to identify and implement optimal solutions to diverse problems
- Strong oral and written communication skills, strict attention to detail
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Effective mentorship skills
This CF position is well suited to an academically-minded scientist who is passionate about graduate biomedical education and is looking to grow their pedagogical expertise, gain hands-on experience designing and teaching graduate courses, and influence the training outcomes of Harvard Medical School's graduate students. The CF for the MMSc in Immunology will be a member of the HMS Curriculum Fellows Program, a science education community that functions as a training program for early career scientist-teachers. Pedagogical training is incorporated into the fellow's course- and program-based efforts and includes opportunities to design and conduct discipline-based educational research (DBER) either in or outside the context of the fellow's core service to the MMSc in Immunology program. CFs receive mentorship and career advising to support their development as educators throughout the duration of the appointment.
To be considered for this position, please email a single PDF document containing (1) a letter of application that addresses your interest in and qualifications for the position, (2) a curriculum vitae, and (3) a statement of teaching philosophy. Please also include the names and contact information of three references, who will be contacted during the review of candidates. The CF position and its associated academic appointment is a one-year appointment, renewable for up to three years, and is non-tenure-track. Fellows are hired at the rank of research associate with the potential for promotion to Lecturer. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, starting immediately. Applications should be received no later than June 11th, 2018 to ensure full consideration. The ideal start for this position is Summer 2018, in Boston, MA.
For details about the Curriculum Fellows Program, please see https://curriculumfellows.hms.harvard.edu/.
Address applications to:
Bradley Coleman, Ph.D.
Co-Director, Curriculum Fellows Program
Via Ms. Naima Abdullahi (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Harvard University is an equal opportunity employer.