Assistant Dean of Faculty Affairs and Pedagogy
Assistant Dean of Faculty Affairs and Pedagogy, College of Health Sciences, California Northstate University, Rancho Cordova, CA
Job Classification: Full-time, exempt, 12-month appointment
Benefit: Per California Northstate University employee benefits
Closing Date: Position open until filled
Review of Applications: Reviewed upon receipt
Anticipated Start Date: August 2018
Reporting Responsibility: This position reports to the Dean for College of Health Sciences
Education: Doctorate degree in the sciences or in education with background in the sciences (eg. Cell and Molecular Biology, Chemistry, etc.)
Experience: At least two years of academic administrative experience in a college or university setting as program director, department chair, dean, or equivalent focused in the areas of pedagogy and instructional technology. Experience leading collaborative teams.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Assistant Dean for Faculty Affairs and Pedagogy (ADFAP) provides leadership, mentoring and coaching that focuses on continuous improvement that inspires and assures innovative curricula and pedagogy, high levels of faculty-student engagement, and a faculty culture devoted to student learning and success. The ADFAP Dean assists in the development and delivers faculty training in a manner that serves the best interest of students, maintains the highest standards of academic integrity in accordance with the mission, core values and purposes of the University.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as a member of the Dean’s Executive Committee;
- Facilitates mentoring, coaching and training of faculty across the college that assures high levels of faculty-student engagement and faculty mentoring of students (including various pedagogical approaches such as collaborative group learning, interactive engagement, inquiry based learning, course based research experiences, etc.);
- Collaborates with College and University leadership and staff in supporting a student focused teaching and learning environment;
- Collaborates with the Director of Assessment (or VP of Research and Assessment), establishes metrics for faculty performance, compiles data, holds forums for analysis and use, and recommends changes based on findings to ensure data-driven strategic planning for institutional effectiveness;
- Holds regular focus groups with faculty and students to provide information for ongoing improvement of courses;
- Collaborates with college chairs in faculty training and professional development;
- Administers the College Research/Scholarship program including: Curricular design and oversight of undergraduate research curriculum (CURE); training/mentoring of faculty, planning and implementation of research courses; assessment and evaluation of CURE curricular outcomes and planning of annual CHS research and scholarship symposium;
- Working with the University VP of Research, creates and maintains an environment that ensures laboratory safe practices, ethical research and scholarship guided by appropriate policies and procedures, adherence to requirements for protection of human and animal subjects, and respect for intellectual property of others;
- In conjunction with the University VP of Research, supports research development among faculty and students including advising on proposals, grant applications and contracts;
- Working with the Dean of CHS, creates financial projections for management and planning of science and classroom laboratory activities;
- Leads STEM Outreach and Community Service programs (Summer Camps; student internships; K-12 outreach; CHS Science Olympiad);
- Develops College Peer Assisted Learning/Learning Assistant Program to support classroom activities;
- Engages in course instruction to the extent possible (e.g. COLL310 and COLL320 as well as in courses related to discipline expertise);
- Collaborates with programmatic assessment and participates in all accreditation and regulatory processes;
- Evaluates evidence-based best practices for teaching effectiveness;
- Evaluates teaching trends and methods for potential institutional pilot based adaptation;
- Collaborate with the Office of VP of Faculty and Programs Development for continuing education in pedagogy;
- Coordinates pedagogy development opportunities and programs for faculty with the Dean of CHS;
- Promotes learning outcomes through maintaining pedagogical standards and their assessment;
- Develops CHS Center for Teaching and Learning;
- Other duties as assigned.
Demonstrates ability to work harmoniously with others to get a job done expeditiously and with a positive attitude. Attitude promotes a positive work environment with respect for others and resolves issues and conflicts professionally. Communicates effectively with other faculty, staff, students, and preceptors by offering constructive suggestions which enhance team performance.
Acts in a self-directed manner; initiates appropriate action before being directed by others or forced to react by events. Seizes opportunities to be proactive in avoiding potential problems. Adapts to changing conditions; willingness to accept challenging or difficult assignments. Inspires excellence and commitment by others.
Determines resources and initiates any action required to accomplish Program objectives. Sets priorities and manages time effectively. Identifies potential problems as well as opportunities for resolution, and plans contingent actions, as appropriate.
Demonstrates and maintains a competent level of administrative leadership duties in accordance with the College’s policies and position certification requirements. Exhibits professional growth through continuous improvement; participates in relevant training and educational programs on and off campus.
Focuses effort and resources toward the completion of tasks and assignments; realization of program goals and fulfillment of the College’s Mission. Demonstrates ability to adjust priorities appropriately, assess progress critically; and overcome barriers effectively to attain results.
Applicants should submit:
- Cover letter of interest that addresses qualifications, experience and career goals
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three (3) professional references
Please send application materials to the HR Department by email or mail to: California Northstate University, 9700 West Taron Drive, Elk Grove, CA 95757.
For department specific inquiries, please contact us by e-mail or telephone: (916) 686-7674 and ask for Bridgette Dixon.
Please note that although the main campus for California Northstate University is located in Elk Grove, CA, this position is located at California Northstate University, College of Health Sciences, in Rancho Cordova, CA.
California Northstate University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Apply for Assistant Dean of Faculty Affairs and Pedagogy
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly