Administrative Support Coordinator (Part - Time)
Job ID: 24522
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job Code: 1035
Department: Sociology & Interdisc Soc Sci
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator I
Anticipated Salary Range: $3,700/month - $3,950/month
Salary Range: $2,846/month - $4,852/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
*This is a part - time (0.5 FTE) position.*
Reporting to the department chair; this position provides administrative support to the Department of Sociology and Interdisciplinary Social Sciences. Working independently, under general supervision, this position performs moderate to complex administrative support duties for the department chair, administrative staff, students and faculty. This position is part - time Monday through Friday from 1:00pm - 5:00pm.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Acts as front-line receptionist, answers phones, greets faculty, staff, students and visitors.
- Coordinates, composes, and proofs, mailings and other forms of communication and publicity.
- Coordinates and maintains departmental databases.
- Assists with coordination of special events and receptions.
- Assists department coordinator by entering data and proofreading materials.
- Updates and maintains departmental website.
- Provides ongoing support to faculty members and chair, prepares and maintains faculty office hours list; prepares and distributes textbook order forms; maintains syllabi files.
- Responsible for processing faculty evaluations.
- Assists in coordinating faculty recruitment and course scheduling.
- Responsible for recording and submitting student grade changes.
- Solicits feedback from faculty and staff to assist in development of improved services.
- Reconcile monthly Pro Card statements.
Education and Experience
Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents and two years of related office work experience.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Clerical experience in an office setting (maintaining files, answering phones and customer service)
- Experience in Web maintenance
- Purchasing experience
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), web development/management software, and email programs such as Gmail
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of methods, procedures and practices; English grammar, business writing, punctuation and spelling.
- Ability to draft, compose and appropriately format correspondence and standard reports.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft Scheduling, Student Administration, CFS, FTS and email programs such as Gmail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to effectively write and present own reports to the Chair of the department.
- Ability to maximize productivity through the use of appropriate tools.
- Ability to ensure completeness, accuracy and timeliness of all operational functions.
- Thorough knowledge of software applications: word processing, spreadsheet, database management and website management
April 6, 2018
Application Screening begins April 25, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046