Job ID: 24523
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 8154
Department: Student Health Center
Classification: Registered Nurse II
Salary Range: $4,083/month - $7,426/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The incumbent is expected to support the Director's and the Nurse Lead's efforts for effective operation of the Student Health Center. Reporting to the Nurse Lead, the Registered Nurse (RN) performs a variety of medical services for students at the Student Health Center. The Registered Nurse works according to established protocols to provide direct nursing care for registered students and, occasionally, limited care for work-related injuries of university employees. Nurses may also occasionally be involved in providing limited first aid for campus visitors. Working collaboratively to support student success is the bottom line purpose of this and all SHC positions. Limited evening or weekend work may be expected.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Triages- works under protocol direction and with occasional direction from the Nursing Lead; assumes charge nurse role when assigned.
- Takes vital signs; records pertinent symptoms and obtains a brief medical history on the majority of patients seen at the Health Center.
- Makes appropriate entries in patients' electronic medical records.
- Administers immunizations, TB tests, and certain medications under the guidelines of standardized procedures.
- Orders x-rays and lab work (as needed) according to a standing order policy.
- Assists physicians and nurse practitioners with procedures and gives treatment as ordered, including IV therapy, IM injections (Depo Provera, Ceftriaxone, etc.), and oral medications (Zithromax, etc.).
- Completes semi-skilled tasks such as electrocardiograms, vision and hearing screening tests, and spirometry.
- Provides health education and counseling to patients; provides direct care and case management for specialty clinics (e.g. immunization, travel,...)
- Assists with vaccine storage, handling and monitoring
- Assists the Nurse Lead in conducting new hire orientation and training new employees.
- Assists Nurse Lead providing direction to and acting as resource for LVNs and Medical Assistants
- Acts on behalf of Nursing Lead if so designated in her/his absence.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent. Completion of a professional nursing program in an approved school of nursing or by additional preparation as approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing and one year of progressively responsible full-time professional nursing experience or equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities. Must possess and maintain a valid license as a Registered Nurse in the State of California. Must possess and maintain certification in CPR/AED.
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- Experience triaging
- 3 years of experience as an RN
- Experience in Urgent care or ER
- Experience starting IVs and administering IV therapy
- Experience setting up and assisting with procedures and processing instruments
- Experience in a combination of specialty clinics- allergy, travel, transgender and administration of associated medications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of general methods, procedures, and practices of an outpatient medical facility.
- Knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Knowledge of software applications used in the Health Center.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize, plan work, and projects.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Ability to quickly lean and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Strong physical assessment and clinical skills
- Knowledge of and ability to carry out response to medical emergencies
- Knowledge of vaccine storage, handling and monitoring.
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment
April 6, 2018
Application Screening begins April 30, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046