Licensed Vocational Nurse
Job ID: 24524
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 8133
Department: Student Health Center
Classification: Licensed Vocational Nurse II
Salary Range: $3,385/month - $6,157/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The incumbent is expected to support the Director's and the Nurse Lead's efforts for effective operation of the Student Health Center (SHC). Reporting to the Nurse Lead, the Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) performs a variety of medical services for students at the Student Health Center. The LVN works according to established protocols to provide direct nursing care for registered students and, occasionally, limited care for work-related injuries of university employees. Nurses may also occasionally be involved in providing limited first aid for campus visitors. Working collaboratively to support student success is the bottom line purpose of this and all SHC positions. Limited evening or weekend work may be expected.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Interviews patients, makes observations, and ascertains appropriate processing or referral.
- Takes vital signs. Performs screening under direction of Nursing Supervisor and registered nurses.
- Records pertinent symptoms and obtains a brief medical history on the majority of patients seen at the Health Center.
- Makes appropriate entries in patients' electronic medical records.
- Administers immunizations, TB tests, and certain medications under the guidelines of standardized procedures.
- Orders x-rays and lab work (as needed) according to a standing order policy.
- Assists physicians and nurse practitioners with procedures and gives treatment as ordered, including IV therapy, IM injections, and oral medications.
- Completes semi-skilled tasks such as electrocardiograms, vision and hearing screening tests, and spirometry.
- Cleans and stock work area with medication or supplies and notifies Nurse Lead if stock is short, depleted, or expired.
- Provides health education and counseling to patients.
- Consults and collaborates with other staff as needed.
- Provides patient care teaching and assists clinician in specialty clinics (i.e., sports medicine, podiatry, etc.)
- Assists with vaccine storage, handling and monitoring
- Performs spore testing on autoclaves
- Assists the Nurse Lead in conducting new hire orientation and training new employees.
- Assists Nurse Lead in providing direction and acting as a resource for Medical Assistants.
Education and Experience
High School diploma or equivalent and three to four years of progressive responsibility as a LVN, including some experience in the specialty area to successfully perform work in the specialty. Successful completion of a state approved vocational nursing program in an accredited school of vocational nursing or equivalent training and experience as defined by the Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT). Possess and maintain a valid Vocational Nurse license issued by the State of California. Possess and maintain a valid CPR/AED certification and/or IV certification.
- 5 or more years of experience as a LVN
- Recent IV experience
- Experience administering Immunizations
- Urgent Care experience
- Experience in Specialty Clinics (transgender, immunization, travel, OB/GYN)
- Experience in orthopedics
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of general methods, procedures, and practices of an outpatient medical facility.
- Knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Knowledge of software applications used in the Health Center.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize, and plan work and projects.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Ability to quickly lean and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Knowledge of and ability to carry out response to medical emergencies.
- Strong clinical skills
- Knowledge of vaccine storage, handling and monitoring.
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
April 6, 2018
Application Screening begins April 30, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046