Lead Custodian (Night Shift)
Job ID: 24521
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 2015
Classification: Lead Custodian
Salary Range: $2,713/month - $4,843/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The incumbent of this position will guide, check, correct and work with a group of Custodians; train and instruct Custodians in proper use of equipment, supply materials, chemicals, and accepted custodial techniques; assist Custodians in the performance of their duties, make inspections; report equipment and repair needs; report needs for additional supplies, report absences of personnel and may assume absent Custodian's duties; assist in the security of the area assigned; assist in the evaluation of subordinates' performance; cooperate with administration, faculty, staff, coworkers, and students in service needs; assist with moving of furniture and equipment and in facilities arrangements for special events. The shift is Sunday through Thursday from 10:30pm - 7:00am.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Mentors and provides guidance to custodians for coordination of responsibilities, proper techniques and proper completion of work.
- Plans, schedules, and coordinates personnel and work assignments using computer or manual methods.
- Uses computer for communication, research of tools and supplies, documentation of job-specific details, and creation of reports.
- Provides input to assists with the completion of employee performance and other evaluations.
- Cleans vertical/horizontal surfaces and fixtures for proper sanitary environment, which includes the following: hand tools such as brooms, mops, dusters, poles, squeegees, buckets, carts, and vacuum cleaner for cleaning.
- Services and cleans restrooms and floors by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, vacuuming, or polishing.
- Removes trash and recyclables from receptacles, and transports to designated areas for disposal.
- Replenishes paper goods and soaps for use.
- Sets up and arrange furniture in conference rooms for meetings and events.
- Operates various types of floor care machinery including floor scrubbers, vacuums, and carpet cleaners.
- Mixes chemicals and solutions to be used for cleaning.
- Operates utility cart, pick-up truck, scissor lift and forklift (as certified) to transport personnel, equipment and waste materials.
- Unlocks and secures facility areas to access equipment and items to be cleaned and/or maintained.
- Inspects facility areas for needed repairs, safety concerns and sanitary conditions.
- Disables and clearly identifies (lock out and tag out) unsafe equipment and immediately notifies appropriate personnel.
- Responds promptly to, and assists with urgent needs in order to prevent injury, damage or further incident.
- Replaces light bulbs, as needed, to ensure adequate lighting in all areas.
- Attends and participates in departmental meetings, trainings and functions.
- Serves on an area or crew basis and leads approximately 8 to 12 Custodians.
Education and Experience
Must be able to read and write English at a level appropriate for the duties of the position and have two years of full-time custodial or janitorial experience which has included providing on-the-job training and leadership to others. A valid California Driver's License is required at time of hire for the operation of any vehicle required for this position.
Previous experience in a Lead or Supervisory role.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, chemicals, and equipment used in custodial work and of the safety and sanitation and measures required.
- Knowledge of effective lead/supervisory practices and techniques.
- Ability to provide lead work direction, including training others in proper work methods and safety and providing feedback on work performance.
- Ability to operate alone and within a team environment communicating with supervision personnel.
- Thorough knowledge of and the ability to use different types of custodial equipment. Demonstrated skills on floor care.
- Ability to use custodial systems such as computers to track work orders and order supplies and materials, as well as two-way radios for communication.
- Ability to safely move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to function cooperatively in a diversified working environment.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with administrators, faculty, staff, coworkers, and students.
- Ability to analyze situations and take effective action.
- Ability to accommodate a work schedule that varies according to operational needs and includes evening and weekend hours.
- Ability to successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for CSU campuses, and pass the course exam.
April 6, 2018
Application Screening begins April 25, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046