Job ID: 24525
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 8148
Department: Student Health Center
Classification: Medical Assistant
Salary Range: $2,600/month - $4,727/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The incumbent is expected to support the Director's and the Nurse Manager's efforts for effective operation of the Student Health Center (SHC). Reporting to the Nurse Manager, the Medical Assistant performs a variety of medical services for students at the Student Health Center. The Medical Assistant works according to established protocols to provide direct nursing care for registered students and, occasionally, limited care for work-related injuries of university employees. Nurses may also occasionally be involved in providing limited first aid for campus visitors. Working collaboratively to support student success is the bottom line purpose of this and all SHC positions. Limited evening or weekend work may be expected.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Applies specialized training and paraprofessional Medical Assistant skills to serve patients and assist professional staff.
- Interviews patients, makes observations, and ascertains appropriate processing.
- Obtains vital signs. Performs screening under direction of Nursing Supervisor and registered nurses.
- Records pertinent symptoms and obtains a brief medical history on the majority of patients seen at the Health Center.
- Makes appropriate entries in patients' electronic medical records.
- Administers immunizations, TB tests, and certain medications under the guidelines of standardized procedures and by direct order of clinician.
- Prepares and assists patients for examinations.
- Assists physicians and nurse practitioners with procedures and gives treatment as ordered.
- Completes semi-skilled tasks such as electrocardiograms, vision and hearing screening tests, and spirometry.
- Answers patients' questions, including by telephone, consulting with physicians, nurse practitioners, administrators, or other staff as needed.
- Applies orthopedic devices by direct order of clinician if ROT certified.
- Daily infection control responsibilities.
- Provides health education to patients.
- Consults and collaborates with other staff as needed.
- Cleans and stock work area with medication or supplies and notifies Nurse Lead if stock is short, depleted, or expired.
- Sterilizes equipment and maintains supplies and instruments in order.
- Assists the Nurse Manager in conducting new hire orientation
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent or combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
- Certified Medical Assistant
- 3 years back office experience in an ambulatory health care setting
- Experience in Urgent Care
- Experience setting up and assisting with procedures
- Experience processing instruments
- Experience administering medications
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of daily clinic operations and organization ranging from patient scheduling and reception to delivery of health care services and processing of paperwork, aseptic techniques and requirements
- Knowledge of the uses, application, and proper operation of various medical supplies and equipment used in performing the duties described above, such as in preparing examining rooms; obtaining patient data and assisting practitioners
- Ability to learn clinical assistance methods and techniques
- Ability to understand and use basic medical assistance terminology to accurately and efficiently support practitioners and follow their instructions
- Ability to perform clinical assistance activities accurately and timely
- Ability to handle instruments and equipment properly
- Ability to read and write English at a level appropriate to the position to support maintaining accurate records and reading medical terminology
- Knowledge of daily clinic operations; aseptic techniques, and requirements
- Ability to use application and proper operation of various medical supplies and equipment.
- General knowledge of anatomy and physiology appropriate to the duties assigned
- Ability to understand the potential hazards or complications resulting from administering medications and how to initiate emergency procedures.
- Ability to demonstrate the proper techniques in administering medications in a variety of manners including intramuscular, intradermal, or subcutaneous methods and by inhalation
- Knowledge of proper techniques in performing injections and phlebotomy; competency in performing assigned medical technical support services such as the standard tests and limited procedures described above
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with practitioners and other health center support staff
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
April 6, 2018
Application Screening begins April 30, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046