Web Services Developer or Senior Web Services Developer - Engineering IT Shared Services (A1800210)
Web Services Developer or Senior Web Services Developer
Engineering IT Shared Services
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Engineering IT Shared Services at the College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Web Services Developer or Senior Web Services Developer. Reporting to the Web Services Manager, the Web Services Developer or Senior Web Services Developer will program and maintain complex web-based applications or sites within the College of Engineering. This position is expected to act autonomously within guidelines, make changes with limited risk, and propose work. This position will work closely with members of Engineering IT and clients to determine client needs and assist Engineering units with web strategies. Specific duties and responsibilities include (for both levels):
•Participate in the full development lifecycle, including estimation, development, testing, and deployment
• Gather requirements, analyze business processes or communications goals and work with team on ways to streamline such processes or achieve stated goals
• Develop web-based applications or sites according to specifications provided by clients
• Complete work within agreed upon timeframes
• Research new technologies that could potentially enhance our hosting platforms and the applications or sites they host
• Support existing applications (Senior level will also create new applications) (in either Windows or Linux environments) by answering user questions; be able to identify and solve most problems independently, seeking assistance from subject experts where appropriate; and iteratively enhance available functionality
• Work with providers of website content tools, including Engineering IT Application Development, University Public Affairs, other groups on campus, and outside vendors to develop and implement effective services delivering dynamic and client driven content
• Implement and use content management systems (CMS) to deliver public websites (Ex. WordPress, Drupal, etc.)
• Write reports, summaries, and formal documentation
• Keep assigned user community well informed of IT issues and changes to avoid confusion and educate users
• Ensure that all websites created adhere to state accessibility laws as well as good usability practices.
• Work with IT management to implement strategic improvements (Senior level will also work with IT management to adhere to group procedures)
• Work with a team to deliver projects including but not limited to, design, code review, and testing as well as serving as a backup to other team members
• Monitor and track progress on projects
Senior level responsibilities also include:
• Offer guidance to help clients through decision-making process in developing solutions
• Act as a mentor to other developers and team members
Minimum Qualifications (for both levels):
Bachelor's degree. Demonstrated customer service excellence. Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Web Services Developer:
Senior Web Services Developer:
Preferred Qualifications (for both levels):
Bachelor's degree in computer related field. 2 years' experience in website development or web-centric software development. Experience working in higher education. Experience with Bootstrap. Experience training technical staff and non-technical users on use and structure of applications or sites. Demonstrated knowledge of PHP web frameworks (such as Laravel). Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git. Demonstrated understanding of best practices for the Web including accessibility, usability standards, standards compliance, and search engine optimization Familiarity with at least one domain of University of Illinois Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW)
The Web Services Developer or Senior Web Services Developer position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by 4/27/2018. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Abby Drewes, firstname.lastname@example.org, 217-244-7583.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Web Services Developer or Senior Web Services Developer - Engineering IT Shared Services (A1800210)
Open Date: 04/06/2018
Close Date: 04/27/2018
Organization Name: Engineering IT Shared Services