Research Coordinator - Institute of Sustainability, Energy, and Environment ( A1800183 )
Institute of Sustainability, Energy, and Environment
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Institute for Sustainability, Energy and Environment, http://sustainability.illinois.edu/, at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is seeking a RESEARCH COORDINATOR who can manage and supervise multiple research themes in the laboratory for Center for Advanced Bioenergy and Bioproducts Innovation (CABBI), a multi-million dollar Bioenergy Research Center funded by DOE. More on http://sustainability.illinois.edu/doe-funds-major-bioenergy-research-center-at-illinois/
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Facilitate communication among CABBI scientists, CABBI administrative team, and other on-campus and external partners, achieved through active implementation of CABBI communication systems.
- Provide budgetary, managerial and scientific support to the themes.
- Identify analytical testing needs and implement the most cost effective means of meeting these objectives, both through internal and external resources.
- Monitor progress toward science objectives, identifying and mitigating project risks, and maximizing efficient use of CABBI resources.
- Troubleshoot and resolve research, protocol, and SOP issues and advise theme leaders. Participate in the design and modification of research protocols.
- Coordinate lab activities and undertakes quality assurance programs. Supervise and train lab staff. Maintain and enhance the comprehensive laboratory safety program and partner with laboratory staff to ensure compliance; conduct meaningful initial and ongoing training for all employees.
- Manage project changes to the scope of work, scheduling, resource allocations and staffing levels.
- As requested by the CABBI Leadership Team, initiate development of other scientific projects not currently in the theme portfolio, either through the current CABBI-funding or through an external sponsor.
- Oversee the preparation and submission of all technical reports for the theme.
- Manage and ensure university and regulatory compliance of the R&D facility.
- Coordinate data management within and between CABBI themes.
- Coordinate equipment services including calibration, maintenance, service contract renewal, and software and hardware upgrades.
- Maintain equipment database information, including updating database with new and decommissioned equipment, and when equipment moves.
- Lead lab moves within existing space, including stakeholder management and identifying opportunities or solutions as needed.
- Coordinate compliance with campus and governmental regulatory requirements governing CABBI research, and completion of necessary material transfer agreements.
- Work with CABBI scientists to prepare technical reports and intellectual property filings.
- As requested by the CABBI Leadership Team, assist with developing new research initiatives within CABBI or with external sponsors, and preparation for CABBI reviews, retreats, and workshops.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
EDUCATION - Required: Masters of Science degree in biochemistry, microbiology, plant biology, crop science and/or biochemical engineering. Alternate degree fields will be considered/accepted depending on the nature and depth of the experience as it relates to this position. Preferred: PhD in biochemistry, microbiology, plant biology, crop science and/or biochemical engineering.
EDUCATION - Required: Several years' (3 to 5) experience with research project management in an academic, private, or relevant public/non-profit environment. Preferred: Experience in administrative management of academic scientific research projects.
TRAINING, LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS - Required: Ability to pass all professional safety courses through the Division of Research Safety at UI.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS - Required: Excellent organizational and time management skills. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to multi-task in order to meet stringent deadlines while producing accurate work. Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office technologies. Ability to work productively and efficiently with a diverse community of scientists.
Proposed start date: As soon as possible.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Appointment Status: Full-time academic professional, grant-supported appointment renewable annually pending continued funding and satisfactory progress within the position. Qualified individuals will be eligible to receive vacation, sick, and personal leave; retirement through the State Universities Retirement System; and group health, dental, vision and life insurance.
To apply: For full consideration, applications must be received by April 3, 2018. Interviews may be conducted prior to search closing date, but hiring decision will not be made until after the closing date. To apply, submit an online profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu, and upload a letter that details qualifications noted above, CV/Resume and the names and contact information of three professional references. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
For further information please contact Erica Hanson, HR Associate, Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Research Coordinator - Institute of Sustainability, Energy, and Environment ( A1800183 )
Open Date: 03/20/2018
Close Date: 04/03/2018
Organization Name: Inst for Sustain, Enrgy, and Env