Lab Animal Resources
Performs a variety of complex technical activities involved in the planning, development and implementation of experimental procedures within the overall scope of a research project at Duke University.
- Performs a variety of complex technical activities involved in conducting physical, chemical, biological, and other research laboratory tests, experiments, and determinations to obtain data for research purposes.
- Monitors health status surveillance for all dogs, cats, rabbits, and non-human primates.
- Anesthetizes laboratory animals as required and serves as a circulating nurse during procedures requiring anesthetized animals.
- Assists in surgery.
- Administers post-operative treatment to research animals. Assists in diagnostic laboratory, performing routine hematologic and parasitological tests.
- Evaluates and interprets collected data and prepares reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends, and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Confers with principal investigator in developing plans for research projects and discusses the interpretation of results and the preparation of scientific manuscripts for publication.
- Determines and sets up instruments, material and apparatus and operates complex laboratory equipment required for specific tests.
- Obtains, prepares, mounts, and stains tissue, blood, and other substances for microscopic examination.
- Trains university technical and professional staff in methods of Animal Technology and procedures by instruction and demonstration.
- Performs on-call requirements as assigned which include weekend and holiday rotations.
Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Clinical observations & evaluations of animal health status
- Assist in surgery
- Anesthetize and intubate dogs/cats
- Administer daily treatments and medications
- Basic animal restraint techniques (excluding primates)
- Basic diagnostic lab techniques
- Basic radiograph techniques
- Participate in enrichment plan
- Anesthetize and intubate swine
- Basic NHP's restraint techniques
- Large animal technical skills
- Rodent, guinea pig, rabbit, etc. health evaluation and treatment
- Ability to follow and enhance enrichment plan for NHP and other species
- Manage and maintain the organization, scheduling, development, documentation, etc. for the given project. Regularly assess the progression of the project.
- Consistently meet service expectations in terms of timelines and customer appreciation.
- Large animal handling skills; rodent, guinea pig, rabbit, etc. handling; phlebotomy; placing catheters; prepare surgical packs; intensive care and emergency care
- Antibody Production process; able to train PI staff in lab animal technical skills; interact professionally and knowledgeably.
691 RESEARCH SPECIALIST
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a basic science background normally acquired throughhigh school education.
Work requires six years of research experienceOR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.