Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
We are seeking a Professional Research Assistant (PRA) with some laboratory research experience to join our growing laboratory. Our research is primarily focused on molecular mechanisms underlying abnormal human placental vascular function in severe fetal growth restriction. The lab is seeking to recruit an individual with familiarity in basic laboratory techniques, with a few pre-requisites: (1) Experience and facility with basic cell culture techniques; (2) Basic understanding of molecular biology; and (3) The ability to work well with other members of the laboratory. Other duties will also include design and performance of experiments, such as isolation of primary human macrovascular and microvascular placental endothelial cells, RNA isolation, protein isolation, qRT-PCR, and western blotting. Additionally, this individual will also be responsible for ordering of supplies, reagents, routine maintenance of laboratory equipment, and will assist the principal investigator in management of laboratory finances and compliance with health and safety regulations. Please note that this position requires flexible work hours, including occasional nights and weekends, as required for completion of study aims.
• Human pregnancy
• Placental insufficiency
• Molecular and cellular biology
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
• Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts
• Minimum 1 additional year of prior research experience after completion of bachelor's degree and/or master's degree in relevant scientific field
• Relevant technical laboratory skills, including familiarity and comfort with cell culture
• Willingness to learn new skills/knowledge in order to achieve independence in designing, performing, and analyzing experiments
• Careful and methodical work practices with excellent record-keeping
• Ability to work well with others
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Cell culture
• Some prior experience with standard laboratory techniques such as PCR or qRT-PCR
• Preparation of culture media, stock solutions
• Knowledge of basic laboratory safety
• Computer skills including Microsoft Office
• Flexible work schedule as required for completion of study aims
• Minimum 2-3 additional years of prior research experience after completion of bachelor's degree and/or master's degree in relevant scientific field
• Experience with isolating and culturing primary cells
• Expertise with standard molecular and cellular biology and biochemistry techniques such as RNA and protein isolation, qRT-PCR, and western blotting
• Computer skills including graphical and statistical software and ability to generate scientific figures
Requirements for hazardous materials handling or exposure
• Hazardous chemicals: Yes
• Radioactive materials/ionizing radiation: Yes
• Infectious materials/human blood or tissue: Yes
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 13154
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21588 - SOM-OB/GYN BRS
Posting Date: Apr 6, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Majik Abidzhanova
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00742201