Human Resources Consultant - Employee Relations
Position Title: Human Resources Consultant - Employee Relations
Position Number: 005198
Full-time or Part-time: Full Time
Department: Human Resources
Posting Number: 0401685
Job Category: Professional
Hiring Range: $55,310 - $65,000
Minimum salary: $39,622
Maximum salary: $89,325
Overall Position Competency: Journey
Description of primary duties and responsibilities:
Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit
The purpose of the Human Resources Department at Fayetteville State University is to support the institutional mission by providing comprehensive and timely human resource services with respect to recruitment and employment, benefits administration, classification and salary administration, staff development and training, employee safety and health, and employee relations for all staff employees, SHRA and EHRA non-faculty. The Human Resources Department also monitors the recruitment and hiring process, and provides benefit administration and other HR services for faculty members. In addition, the Associate Vice Chancellor of Human Resources is designated as the University Affirmative Action Officer with full responsibility for the University's programs of Equal Employment Opportunity through Affirmative Action.
Description of Work Continued:
Primary Purpose of the Position
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as the Manager of Employee Relations and Training, providing the following services to the administration, faculty, staff and employees of Fayetteville State University:
• Talent management program needs assessment and program management
• Manage disciplinary actions/grievances/suspensions/dismissals/informal complaints
• Consult with supervisors on counseling, coaching and improvement plans.
• Performance Management Program (Work Plans/Appraisal)
• Management and Staff skill needs assessments
• Serves as liaison to the Staff and Faculty Senate.
• This position interacts with senior administrators, supervisors/managers, faculty, staff, OSP, EOC, and the Employment Security.
• Manage all unemployment insurance requests
• Handle EEO investigations and ADA issues as needed.
This position supervises a Specialist who will monitor performance management, conflict management and provide interpretation of regulations and policies as well as make recommendations as appropriate. The position also supervises a Training Specialist who provides coordination of all HR related university training.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Bachelor's degree and two years of progressively responsible experience analyzing, interpreting, applying, communicating and promoting HR best practices in the context of organizational goals and objectives; or an equivalent combination of training and experience
Knowledge skills and abilities:
• Ability to manage and administer a broad range of tasks including resolving complaints, counseling managers and employees on the interpretation of policies, procedures and union agreements.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of human resources management and supervision in a union environment.
• Ability to prepare written reports and correspondences, and presentations to senior leadership as required.
• Ability to build and maintain positive relationships internally and externally.
• Extensive knowledge of applicable state and federal employment and labor laws and governmental compliance requirements, knowledge of immigration laws and processes a plus.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
• Extensive knowledge of information technology, including hardware and software applications, used in the Human Resources function.
• Proven leadership.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
• Ability to maintain physical condition and stamina appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include sitting for extended periods of time and operating assigned office equipment, and other duties as assigned.
Graduated from an accredited college or university with major course work in Business or Public Administration, Human Resources Management, or closely related field.
Six (6) years' experience in human resources management, three (3) years of which must have been in a responsible employee relations position.
SHRM Certified Professional (PHR) or Senior Professional (SPHR).
Closing Date: 04/27/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your highest level of education?
- High school graduate, diploma or the equivalent
- Some college credit, no degree
- Associate degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Professional/Graduate degree
- * How many years of progressively responsible Human Resources experience do you have?
- Less than 3 years
- 3-6 years
- 6-10 years
- 10 years or more
- * Do you have experience in a supervisory role?
- * Do you have PHR or SPHR certification?
- * Please describe your experience with coordinating the following employee relations matters: a. Grievances b. Disciplinary Actions c. Mediation
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have working knowledge of HR and management policies, particularly as they apply to Equal Employment Opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Other Document
This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification (if applicable), academic verification and credit history check (if applicable).
Fayetteville State University is committed to equality of educational opportunity and employment and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Moreover, Fayetteville State University values diversity and actively seeks to recruit talented students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Fayetteville State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.