Senior Product Manager
At Western Governors University we are building the technology to redefine how individuals can gain the knowledge and skills required to achieve their goals and objectives. We leverage technology to create an exemplary student experience for on-line, competency-based education which is independent of time and place. If you are passionate about education, and want to be part of an innovative, high-tech university, that serves students in a unique way, this job is for you. Join us if you want to be part of something very special.
Western Governors University (WGU) is seeking a talented Senior Product Manager. This position is based in our Salt Lake City, Utah headquarters location reporting to the VP of Product Management. The Product Manager is responsible for planning and execution throughout the product lifecycle, including: gathering and prioritizing product and customer requirements, defining the product vision, and working closely with other development efforts, to ensure strategic goals and outcomes are met. The Product Manager’s job also includes ensuring that the product supports the University’s overall strategy and goals.
- Define creative, high quality, simple product roadmaps based on team strategy and vision
- Develop detailed, crisp business requirements
- Cultivate WGU’s focus on students and our market.
- Define risks and tradeoffs associated with new and established products.
- Develop efficiencies to support ROI for fast moving objectives
- Identify and monitor Key Performance Indicators to track usage and success.
- Manage product initiatives through the product lifecycle from concept and initiation to outcome evaluation and closing.
- Write acceptance criteria
- Ensure project plans are well documented, detailed, and updated regularly.
- Run beta and pilot programs with early-stage products
- Accountable for launch and impact of product releases
- Work with other departments to evaluate impact, identify risks, and manage change
- Provide training and documentation on product deliverables
- Defines and manages launch activities across functional teams.
- Other as assigned by manager
- Demonstrated experience as a successful product manager for software products.
- Experience with agile development and episodic release cycles.
- Experience working in LMS (Learning Management Systems)
- Confident, competent leadership skills
- Strong collaborative people skills
- Be a self-starter with bias for action versus extensive deliberation
- Exhibits excellent judgment
- Hires and develops great people
- Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
- Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business
- Expects and requires innovation of self and her/his team
- Is enthusiastic about our products
- Strong results orientation
- Team player, with a history of thought leadership.
- Strong analytic background in the areas software development and web services.
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States