The Senior Library Assistant has overall responsibility for the day-to-day Circulation, Reserves and Stacks Maintenance. The incumbent oversees all aspects of direct patron services at the combined Reference/Circulation/Reserves service desk and main entrance to the Architecture Library. The Senior Library Assistant assists patrons with general reference questions, and coordinates and supervises all processing services including all aspects of materials and patron records. The incumbent is also responsible for the opening of the building. General duties include, but are not limited to: supervising student library assistants, monitoring workflows, coordinating student work schedules and assignments, and recommending and implementing policies and procedures that may enhance the provision of front-line services at the desk as necessary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
*Responsible for general supervision of Circulation & Reserves staff and public services activities (60%).
- Monitors public access areas of the Paul Buisson Architecture Library.
- Assists in the hiring, orientation, training, and supervision of student assistants in general stacks maintenance and circulation procedures.
- Coordinates and prepares work and service desk schedules for student assistants.
- Monitors workflow in Circulation & Reserves and establishes priorities as needed.
- Provides basic reference assistance to library patrons, and, when appropriate refers researchers to the Architecture Librarian for in-depth reference services.
- Refers patrons to academic services provided by the Learning Commons in Richter Library when appropriate.
- Maintains positive customer relations with library patrons while effectively carrying out library policies.
- Serves as initial contact for staff and patron problems resolution.
- Consults with the Architecture Librarian in negotiating situations with library patrons involving fines, encumbrances, claims returned, claimed never checked out, or other problems.
- Authorized to reduce or waive library fines up to limits established by library and university policy.
- Makes purchases and reconciles miscellaneous teaching materials (books, journals, etc. not purchased through vendor/approval plans), clerical and operational expenses as directed by the Architecture librarian.
- Prepares reports related to facilities complaints and liaisons with facilities management.
Communications, Relationships, and Service (15%)
- Maintains professional, supportive customer service behavior with all library patrons.
- Establishes effective and supportive interdepartmental relationships to increase unit effectiveness and disseminate information.
- Communicates frequently and articulately with all university staff, faculty, and administrators in a timely manner regarding procedures, policies, and other administrative procedures.
- Assists in gathering collection statistics.
- Participates in Library Staff Committees.
Coordinates operations of Circulation / Reserves / Reference desk (25%).
- Maintains flow of Architecture Library Reserves, which includes preparing and processing items into appropriate systems (Alma) modules.
- Responsible for overseeing inventories and maintenance of the architecture stacks collections.
- Assists in the organization and processing of architecture special collections, i.e. Drawings & Maps, Models, etc. in the creation and implementation of finding aids into the archival finding aid platform.
- Supervises student task teams in the organization, coordination and maintenance of architecture special collections units and projects.
- Assists in database maintenance projects as needed.
- Represents the Architecture Library on the Alma Fulfillment Functional Group.
- Participates in library committees, task forces, and professional development training workshops.
- Assists with special divisional and library-wide projects as assigned.
*Percentages may vary dependent on service and operational needs of Circulation & Reserves and Architecture Library.
This position reports to the Head of the Architecture Library; minor supervision needed; reports problems and recommends changes to policies and procedures
- This individual supervises Circulation & Reserves student assistants.
LEVEL OF CONTACTS
The individual works with all levels of University and Library staff including faculty, administrators, staff, and students as well as alumni and community users. Within the library, this individual works with all levels of library faculty and staff as well as student employees. In all contacts, the incumbent is expected to be professional and courteous.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience, Skills, Training, etc)
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Two years of related experience required
- Experience with Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Experience with Microsoft Outlook (or other e-mail software) and Internet searching required.
- Fluency with Ex Libris Alma or similar library system preferred.
- Strong written and oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>