HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING MECHANIC/PLUMBER
HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING MECHANIC/PLUMBER
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Position #: 1800038
Cover Letter, Licenses/Certificates/Permits, Resume/CV
CLASSIFIED EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
First Review Date:
$81,875 - $99,874 Annual Salary (Range 132: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2016-2017). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, 12 sick leave days and 18 paid holidays.
The Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanic/Plumber reports to the Maintenance Supervisor at the District Office. The work schedule is 12 months per year; 40 hours per week; Monday - Friday; 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Performs journeyman level work in the repair and maintenance of heating and air conditioning equipment and systems and the repair and installation of plumbing systems an fixtures; and does related work as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspect, disassemble, repair, assemble, maintain and install air conditioning units, hot water heating units, electric motors, blowers and fans, gas ovens, and heaters.
- Check units for leaks, loose wires, broken belts, and defective switches, thermostats, valves, tubes, motors and other parts.
- Replace belts, compressors, timers, fan motors, valves, gaskets, filters, thermocouples, thermostats, pilot assemblies, and other defective parts.
- Maintain and/or purchase supplies needed for work.
- May have operating responsibility for automatically controlled environmental control systems affecting the heating or cooling power and water of a building or campus.
- Maintain diesel equipment.
- Install, maintain and repair water, gas, and waste lines, toilets, urinals, shower heads, faucets, and drinking fountains.
- Install a variety of traps and valves.
- Clear stopped-up drains, toilets, urinals and sewer and storm drain lines.
- Use jack hammers, air compressors, electrical pumps, roto-rooters, pipe threading machines, wrenches, and other plumbing tools.
- Perform general maintenance work as required, including clean-up after work is completed.
- May be on-call twenty-four hours a day.
- Perform other duties reasonable related to the job classification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Methods, materials and equipment used in the heating and air conditioning and plumbing trades including electrical, heating, refrigeration, rough plumbing and repair work and welding.
- Building code and OSHA requirements as they relate to plumbing work.
- A central utility power plant system similar to the District's and all electrical and electronic equipment associated with that system.
- Interpret and work from drawings and blue prints.
- Use various tools and equipment, including the operation of mechanical tools.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Work cooperatively with others.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
1. Universal Recovery Certification is required.
2. Possession of a valid California motor vehicle operator's license is required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Demonstrated general maintenance, heating and air conditioning, and plumbing experience including experience at the journeyman level. Experience with sophisticated environmental control systems is highly desirable.
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse classified staff consisting of 41% Hispanic/Latino, 26% Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 22% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities