INSTRUCTOR, ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL TECHNOLOGY (HVAC/R)
INSTRUCTOR, ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL TECHNOLOGY (HVAC/R)
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Position #: 1800039
Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Transcripts for Associate OR Bachelor's Degree (Must include award/confer date).
FULL-TIME FACULTY OPPORTUNITY
Business and Workforce Development
First Review Date:
San Jose City College
$67,236 to $86,547 Entry Level Annual Salary (Academic Salary Schedule 2016-2017); Maximum Salary Potential $117,002. Note: Actual Salary placement is based on candidate's verified education and experience.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Faculty also receive paid sick leave.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Teach a 100% load in the fields of Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration (HVAC/R) and Environmental Controls. Course assignments will include topics such as, but not limited to, Refrigeration Principles, Refrigeration Service, Air Conditioning Control Systems.Typical courses include instruction in; safety, hand tools and use of instruments, basics of mechanical refrigeration, medium and low temp refrigeration, refrigerants, evacuation, charging, recovery, basic and advanced electricity, single and 3 phase power, motors, controls, control strategies, airflow measurement, use of psychrometrics as a diagnostic tool, gas fired (natural and LP) heating systems, flame control technologies, heat pumps, and National Electrical Code as related to Air Conditioning, Refrigeration and Environmental Controls, basic sheet metal fabrication, residential duct system layout and design, air conditioning and refrigeration system installation, technician preparation for HVAC/R certification exams and employment into the HVAC/environmental control fields. 2. Adapt methodologies for students with special needs and different learning styles. 3. Demonstrate commitment to professional development, including but not limited to activities such as: participation in professional conferences, workshops, seminars, membership in professional organizations, research projects, publishing academic work, participation in statewide committees or organizations, etc. 4. Demonstrate sensitivity in working with students and staff of diverse racial, ethnic, academic and socio economic backgrounds, sexual orientation, and disabilities by showing respect for differences and the dignity of others. 5. Participate in faculty responsibilities such as: course and curriculum development and review, student learning outcomes and assessment, program review, committees, research and special projects as needed in the discipline/department or district. 6. Attend and participate in department, division and college meetings and keep posted office hours. 7. Meet record keeping obligations on time, e.g. grades, census, reports, rosters, textbook orders, and requisitions. 8. Maintain and provide current course syllabi as required by California Education Code and Board policy. 9. Foster a professional work and learning environment. 10. Perform other duties as required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement. 11. Maintain currency and depth of knowledge in assigned area of responsibility and use methods and materials appropriate to the subject matter. 12. Use appropriate preparation and organizational skills in area of assignment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Position Summary: This faculty position is a full-time, 100% FTE Tenure Track position as Instructor, Environmental Control Technology (HVAC/R) in the Division of Business and Workforce located at San Jose City College. Assignment may include day and evening responsibilities. This position is represented by the San Jose/Evergreen Federation of Teachers, AFT 6157.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Any Bachelor’s degree and two years of professional experience
Any Associate's Degree AND six years of professional experience
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Training and practical experience in all aspects of HVAC/R and Environmental Controls.
2. Evidence of the ability to involve students in practical applications of instruction as it is related to the industry.
3. Active membership in trade and related trade associations such as:
• Certification Member (CM) of the Refrigeration Service Engineers Society (RSES);
• Membership in professional HVAC/R organizations;
• Additional licenses and/or certifications including; California Licensed Contractor C20 and/ or C38;
• Certification in the following areas: Air Conditioning, Heat Pumps, Gas Furnace, Air Distribution;
• EPA Certificate.
4. Industrial supervision experience.
5. Knowledge of emerging technologies and their application in learning assistance.
6. Experience working with a student population that reflects the demographics of San Jose City College.
7. Successful course curriculum development experience and commitment to working with colleagues from other disciplines using interdisciplinary strategies to develop courses and programs to enhance student learning.
8. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse faculty consisting of 18% Hispanic/Latino, 25% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 45% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Email: [email protected]
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities