10005468 Environmental Management Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant – Contingent 1
The Graduate School
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a Teaching Assistant to support the Environmental Management Program in The Graduate School.
The Contingent 1 employee will perform the following activities that are required in the two courses ENVM 650- Water Resource Management and ENVM 653- Land use Planning:
- Introduces the students to opening and saving a map document, working with map layers, navigating in a map document, measuring distances, working with feature attributes and symbology, using vector and raster data, etc.
- Provides lectures on a variety of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) related topics including how to use particular tools such as GIS on-line website developed by ESRI and how maps are created using GIS tools and different types of data files
- Explains how to locate various types of maps and data which, in turn, can enable different types of analysis
- Develops assignments that enable students to apply GIS to a wide range of land and water issues.
- Answers students questions on how to access the UMUC virtual class room and the GIS on-line website as well as the best way display different types of geographical and spatial data using maps and map layers.
- Identifies "workarounds" when there is a problem with one of the GIS tools
- Grades student assignments and provides feedback on those assignments
- Holds Webex conferences to address student questions and visually Illustrates what can be done with GIS including real world projects such as post-disaster (hurricane) planning efforts or creating forest preserves in Africa.
- Instructs students on where to save and post their map products as well as their associated written assignments
- Resolves issues relating to the completion of a student assignment
Required Education and Experience:
- MS in an environmental, physical or social science, or planning field
- Completed at least 4 courses in GIS from an accredited university with a 3.5 (out of 4.0) GPA.
- Familiarity with ESRI GIS Products, including ARCGIS Online.
- 1-2 years of field experience with GIS.
- You must meet the minimum technology requirements, which can be reviewed at https://www.umuc.edu/visitors/careers/facultyrecruit/upload/Adjunct-Faculty-Minimum-Technology-Requirements.pdf
- Masters or PhD in Geographic Information Systems or 6 courses in GIS
- 2-4 years field experience using ESRI GIS products
- Experience teaching online