West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 4/26/2018
The Department of Facilities and Maintenance is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Mechanic.
Comprised of two colleges, West Valley College and Mission College, we are located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate our two colleges for our friendly staff and supportive atmosphere.
To perform maintenance, installation, and repair of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning controls and systems; to program and monitor automated energy management systems; and to assist with larger or more complex maintenance jobs.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
100% of full time, 37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of May 2018. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is a member of the West Valley-Mission Classified Employees Association (WVMCEA), Operations & Support Services Employee Unit.
West Valley-Mission Community College District, located on the West Valley College campus, Saratoga, CA.
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $5595 -$6115 monthly (WVMCEA Salary Schedule, Range 67, Steps A-C).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse, and/or dependents.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- 10 days vacation leave accrued annually; rate increases step-wise up to maximum 22 days vacation leave accrued annually.
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Educational growth incentive program from $40 to $200 monthly.
- $500 longevity award annually after 10 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 15 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
Any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
1. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
Two years of responsible skilled experience in HVAC maintenance functions.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Program, monitor, and troubleshoot building thermostats using automated energy management systems and software.
- Calibrate, clean, and repair electrical and pneumatic voltage controls, thermostats, and timers.
- Install and repair mechanical refrigeration and air conditioning equipment; including pumps, motors, fans, compressors, and valves.
- Troubleshoot and repair low pressure boiler, gas, and electric heating systems; perform minor repairs on emergency generators.
- Coordinate large or special installation and repair projects with outside contractors.
- Instruct and advise users on proper operation of equipment.
- Maintain appropriate maintenance records and reports.
- Research and order or purchase parts necessary for HVAC repairs; research, evaluate, and make recommendations on new equipment purchases.
- Attend and participate in new construction meetings to provide advice on system construction and alterations.
- Meet with inspectors to ensure compliance with relevant building codes, safety regulations, and other requirements.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other district employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Foster an environment that embraces diversity, integrity, trust, and respect.
- Be an integral team player, which involves flexibility, cooperation, and communication.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741-2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.