Confidential Office Support and Project Specialist (SJSU ONLY)
Job ID: 24518
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1176
Department: Stategy, Planning & Bus Svcs
Classification: Confidential Administrative Support III
Salary Range: $5,102/month - $10,995/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
*This position is opened to current SJSU employees only.*
Reporting to the Director, Strategy, Planning and Business services, under minimal supervision, the Confidential Office Support and Project Specialist provides complex administrative office support for the Office of CIO. The incumbent works independently to perform complex administrative functions of a highly sensitive and confidential nature requiring access to a variety of sources of information, including personnel matters, grievances, management strategies and progress reports of campus programs and projects. The incumbent serves as a key contact for communication within the division, across campus offices, with the Chancellor's Office and external constituents. In addition to supporting the Vice President of Information Technology and CIO, the Confidential Office Support and Project Specialist provides administrative and analytical work in a complex and diverse division.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provides direct Administrative Support to the Vice President, including managing the VP's calendar, receipt and review of highly confidential and sensitive correspondence and other communications.
- Serves as the Division's contact in support for the Vice President of IT and CIO and regularly responds to requests for the vice president.
- Composes, proofreads and edits confidential correspondence (reports, letters, campus wide emails, etc.) created by the vice president, senior managers or other office staff, sent out on behalf of the vice president.
- Coordinates and processes travel planning including pre-approval, logistics and reimbursements.
- Verifies VP travel: Authorization and reimbursement.
- Reconciles VP's credit card statements, coordinates/processes travel and maintains files.
- Represents the office of the CIO in collaboration with the offices of the president, other vice presidents, associate vice presidents, chancellor's office and the general public.
- Reviews and ensures accuracy for monthly CIO direct report's attendance through absence management.
- Manage and coordinate events assigned by Director of Strategy, Planning and Business Services
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or professional training program specific to the position and directly related work experience, or a combination of education and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position and four years of administrative work experience
- 3 to 5 years of experience in a confidential role
- Experience supervising a team
- Experience planning and managing executive events.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Ability to understand problems from a broad, interactive perspective and ability to develop solutions that combine information and ideas in new ways.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to effectively compose, edit, and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Knowledge of standard office software applications, such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to analyze and interpret and apply a variety of federal, state, CSU, and SJSU policies, procedures, and practices.
- Ability to effectively use application information systems and application in analysis, research, and reporting activities and projects.
- Ability to investigate and analyze problems with a broad administrative impact and implications.
- Ability to anticipate problems and address them proactively.
- Ability to effectively interpret, organize and present information and ideas in written or presentation form.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities in a timely manner, initiating, organizing, planning and implementing work and projects.
- Ability to create, manage and adjust as necessary, various aspects of a project to ensure successful conclusion.
- Ability to plan and manage multiple and ongoing events and projects.
April 5, 2018
Application Screening begins April 20, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046