College Financial Resource Analyst (SJSU ONLY)
Job ID: 24517
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1038
Department: College of Engineering
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist Exempt III
Salary Range: $5,908/month - $10,822/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
*This position is opened to current SJSU employees only.*
The College Financial Resource Analyst oversees the budget and financial affairs of the College to ensure proper financial management, working closely with the senior management team to maintain, enhance and grow college's programs and financial objectives to achieve goals. The analyst performs a number of highly complex technical functions, using advanced fiscal analysis and projections for finding solutions to problems and developing new methods for execution. As the financial expert for the college, the Analyst monitors and guides the college departments to appropriately manage their budgets. The Analyst oversees all college finances, including operating funds, CERF funds, and over 150 auxiliary accounts and advises the Dean and management team in making critical business decisions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performs research, analysis, development, evaluation, and implementation for the college's critical programs, including collaborations with SJSU colleges, CSU entities, external academic institutions, and industry partners.
- Develops and implements processes to audit transactions of department while directing departments on processes to resolve any audit issues. Analyzes and evaluates the impact of changes in the budget process.
- Develops and designs database improvements, including reports for monitoring unit allocations.
- Prepares reports that outline and clarify the financial position of the college.
- Generates all critical and significant correspondence relating to planning, development, and decision making within the college related to budget and financial matters.
- Serves as the key expert consultant in the college for other CSU campus programs, advising them in the development of their own off campus program model.
- Trains and mentors the College staff, chairs, and faculty on university policies, practices, procedures, and tools to use for procurement and financial reporting.
- Develops better methods for tracking and analyzing data and trains the college's staff, chairs, and faculty accordingly, leading process improvement efforts to develop new strategies, approaches, and solutions related to the college's business operations.
Education and Experience
A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and six years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
Experience with university financial tracking/ reporting and PeopleSoft
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with a team, as required.
- Extensive and in-depth knowledge of budgetary procedures, accepted accounting principles, and financial management practices.
- Ability to understand and analyze complex problems from a future-oriented and broad interactive perspective.
- Ability to exercise initiative, flexibility, and substantial judgment and discretion.
- Knowledge of software applications: word processing, spreadsheet, database management.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply PeopleSoft Financial management system.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to respond to problems quickly, using sound judgment and maturity.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common technical concepts, reports and legal documents.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures.
- Ability to use expertise, persuasion and negotiation skills to build consensus to achieve short -and long-term goals and objectives.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Ability to train and supervise a staff member.
April 5, 2018
Application Screening begins April 20, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046