Project Manager or Senior Project Manager - Technology Services (A1800207)
Project Manager or Senior Project Manager
Technology Services at Illinois
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Technology Services at Illinois is the provider of campus-wide computing, networking, telephone, and instructional technology services supporting academic activities of faculty, staff, and students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Technology Services at Illinois seeks a Project Manager or Senior Project Manager to join our Project Management Office. This desired candidate will lead strategic level projects from concept to completion by utilizing the organization's published methodology (processes and templates). In addition to performing the traditional project management functions, this position will also manage project portfolios which includes mentoring assigned project leads, assisting in the maintenance and delivery of project management training, governing PMO processes, and by assisting in gathering and reporting portfolio level metrics.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Project Manager Duties
- Provide guidance and training to the organization in the creation of project proposals to be submitted and reviewed within the project review process.
- Responsible for creating project budgets and executing timelines.
- Identify and schedule project milestones and deliverables; communicate s with sponsors, resources assigned to the project and stakeholders; and as applicable, provide s status reports, risk assessments, and other planning documents.
- Develop work breakdown structure and formulate work packages.
- Act as a peer to resource managers and recommend the tasking of resources to the work packages of the project.
- Work collaboratively with resource managers to achieve the objectives of the project.
- Escalate issues to project sponsors as they occur.
- Responsible for the successful execution and completion of Technology Services authorized projects.
- Understand the overall processes and procedures of the organization and make recommendations on the continual improvement of those processes and procedures, providing for management analysis and recommendations on continual improvement.
- Act as a mentor and resource regarding project management techniques and methodologies and facilitate the adoption of common project management techniques throughout the organization.
- Responsible for executing projects within approved budget, timeline and quality constraints.
- Provide project metrics to the Project Management Office.
- Drive continuous improvement in Service and Process Management with demonstrable outcomes.
- Lead projects with a focus on operational excellence, improving processes, accelerating process timelines, and be a change champion throughout the organization and on campus.
Senior Project Manager Additional Duties
- Coordinate and provide leadership of organizational and unit-wide portfolio manager activities as follows:
- Apply Project Management best practices on all projects and govern active processes and procedures
- Mentor assigned project leads regarding project management techniques and methodologies and facilitate the adoption of common project management techniques
- Provide reports, analyses, data and recommendations to the Project Management Office, Project Steering Teams, and Executive Leadership including measures of success and key performance indicators for the portfolio.
- Provide organizational project management training.
- Notifies the Associate Director Service and Process Management or Manager of PMO whenever a conflict in resource allocation occurs that cannot be resolved at the resource manager level.
- Ensure excellent Customer Service throughout the Project Management Group.
Position Requirements and Qualifications
Bachelor Degree required.
Experience for Project Manager
- Minimum 3 years of experience in Project Management.
- Minimum 1 year of experience leading IT related projects.
- Demonstrated ability performing financial analysis.
- Demonstrated ability in effective communication and collaborating in a high performance team environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service.
- Experience participating in diverse workgroups.
Additional Experience for Senior Project Manager
- Minimum 7 years of experience working in IT related environment.
- Minimum 3 years of experience managing IT projects, including some experience managing complex, high profile projects involving large project teams.
- Project Management Professional certification or equivalent
Knowledge Requirements for Project Manager
- Basic understanding of the nine project management knowledge areas: Cost Management, Time/Schedule Management, Scope Management, Risk Management, Human Resource Management, Integration Management, Procurement Management, Communication Management, Quality Management.
- Basic understanding of both waterfall and scrum development methodologies and the variations.
- Working knowledge of Project scheduling software.
- Working knowledge of Project and portfolio management (PPM) software.
- Basic understanding of ITIL v3 and Business Process Improvement
- Understand and demonstrate ability to generate work-breakdown structures (WBS).
- Understands Gantt charting, critical path methods and project scheduling.
- Must understand basic financial analysis.
Additional Knowledge Requirements for Senior Project Manager
- Working knowledge of the ten project management knowledge areas: Cost Management, Time/Schedule Management, Scope Management, Risk Management, Human Resource Management, Integration Management, Procurement Management, Communication Management, Quality Management, Stakeholder Management.
- Working knowledge of waterfall and scrum development methodologies and variations of each.
- Basic understanding of Business Process Improvement such as Six Sigma or Lean Six Sigma.
- Working knowledge of earned value and other financial analysis methods.
- Working knowledge of Program and Portfolio management concepts.
Appointment Status and Salary
This position is a regular, full-time, twelve-month academic professional appointment and includes salary and a benefits package (24 vacation days, 12 sick days, health, dental, vision, SURS retirement). For other University provided benefits, please go to: https://nessie.uihr.uillinois.edu. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. There will be no relocation costs included in this package. The start date will be as soon as possible after the close date.
For full consideration, applications should be received by April 19, 2018. Please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload in one file a letter of application, resume. The online application will require names and contact information for the three professional references. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For further information about this position, please contact Rhonda Miller at email@example.com or call (217) 333-4222.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the CIO
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Project Manager or Senior Project Manager - Technology Services (A1800207)
Open Date: 04/05/2018
Close Date: 04/19/2018
Organization Name: Service and Process Management