Budget - BUDGET/FORECAST ANALYST
Vacancy ID S2271 Job Title BUDGET/FORECAST ANALYST Working Title Budget Analyst Department Budget School/Parent Organization Business and Finance Parent Org Division Finance and Administration Division Employment Category Fulltime-Regular Anticipated start date 05/14/2018 If temporary, expected end date Hours per week 37.5 Weeks Per Year 52.2 Normal Start Time 8:30 AM Normal End Time 5:00 PM Position/Job Summary
Analyze and compile information concerning the College budget and financial transactions to include analysis of institutional income and expenses and development of budget and forecast models. Prepare, monitor and reconcile accounts and provide financial reporting to include cost accounting analysis and maintain historical financial data. Review, monitor, and process approved changes to capital and non-salary operating budgets. Work with College departments in planning and implementing department budgets and provide assistance and information in budget development, reconciliation, and training.
1. Work in consultation with College departments providing direction and guidance in the preparation of budget recommendations; monitor input for accuracy as departments submit and manage operating budgets. Assist in budget planning process meetings and presentations, and in budget process training.
2. Provide cost accounting analyses for departments needing profit and loss account information. Prepare comprehensive technical financial reports and summaries for department analysis and inform appropriate divisional staff about budget issues; work with them to install and review proper budgetary controls.
3. Extract data and analyze information from multiple systems to support and optimize institutional goals, including Parnassus, BudgetPak, IC Marketplace, credit card, travel expenditures, employee reimbursement, and other campus expenses and/or revenues.
4. Serve as liaison to College departments and provide customer service assisting with general budget, system, and reporting related questions. Perform budget adjustments and identify, research, and resolve discrepancies. Complete internal and external reports in collaboration with various College departments.
5. Perform departmental audits for procedural accuracy and proper coding, documentation, and timeliness of pro-card, travel card, and EZ pay transactions. Make recommendations and implement procedures to ensure compliance with established policies and minimize potential exposure to the College. For each audit performed, submit a completed report for supervisory review, which includes findings and recommendations.
6. Participate in specialized confidential research of institutional expenses and data management reports and analyses.
7. Participate in the preparation of forecasts; recognize, follow, and analyze revenue and expense trends. Research historical data to map trends. Work with other departments in culling information and this information will influence the college's forecast. Routinely examine own methodologies and identify ways to improve predictive accuracy.
8. Prepare detailed reports in areas such as salaries, benefits, monthly budget/forecast to actual reporting and other special accounts. Prepare variance analysis actuals v/s forecast v/s budget and highlight early warning signals.
9. Prepare detailed reports in such areas as salaries, benefits, monthly budget to actual reporting and other special budgeted accounts. Review, monitor, and approve capital expenditures noting budget approval, changes, substitutions, and additions. Monitor the tracking and balancing of large projects in collaboration with Financial Services, Office of Facilities, Information Technology Services and other departments. Provide and present reports to responsible parties as requested. Prepare quarterly capital expenditure report and distribute for review and updated projections of full year spend. Produce a summarized forecast for use in redistributing capital resources within the fiscal year.
10. Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with staff, faculty, students and visitors to the College. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
11. Serve as an active member of various College wide committees as assigned and attend other meetings as requested by the Director and/or the Controller or Senior Leadership Team members.
12. Ensure confidentiality of records, information and materials associated with the Budget Office and institutional financial information. Update and maintain the Budget department web page.
Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or business administration and a minimum of 2 years related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience; demonstrated knowledge of fiscal analysis, budget/forecast preparation and analytical skills; knowledge of accounting concepts including profit and loss statements and statistical functions; strong analytical, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills and the ability to effectively work and interact respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment, ability to work independently and in a team environment; extensive working knowledge of various spreadsheet and database software applications; strong analytical skills and experience using software applications including Excel, Excel pivot table functions, MS Word, and Access; strong understanding of data relationships and data modelling skills are required. Experience working with an on-line financial management information system and budget, forecast or performance management system is preferred.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants must apply online at http://ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a resume and cover letter. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
Work authorization (select one): Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position Department description College Description
At Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 6,500 students, we strive to be at the forefront of the higher education landscape. We offer a distinct integrative learning experience that makes students ready for the personal, professional, and global challenges of our age.
We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part of this exciting time in Ithaca College history. We encourage creative collaboration and innovation in our faculty and staff, providing support and resources for them to grow in their fields and lead students to their own innovative ideas and achievements.
We welcome different ways of thinking and look for candidates with unique points of view and life experiences. We are inclusive of individuals with a wide range of cultural, personal, and professional backgrounds, talents, and skills. Our campus is a vibrant and rewarding community where diverse minds can learn, succeed, and excel.
When reviewing candidates, we are looking for indicators of a number of core competencies. Prospective candidates must be adaptable, collaborative, inclusive, respectful, responsive, results driven, and sustainable. They must communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership, exhibit professional integrity and ethics, take initiative, value personal and professional development, and show that they will engage in the college.
Nestled in the heart of New York State's scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger's as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States.
To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at http://ithaca.edu
Market Hiring Range $50,880-$55,000 FLSA Status Exempt Is this position eligible for benefits? Yes
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Reference List
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).