Summary of the Position
The physical demands of this position range from LIGHT to MEDIUM-HEAVY. This position involves planting and transplanting shrubs, removing and installing sod, watering both cultivated ground and new plantings. Seasonal grounds maintenance including: lawn mowing, trimming, edging, mulching, lining roadways and parking lots, surface trash clean-up, snow removal, and installation of traffic signals, sign posts, barriers, etc. These are completed in accordance with all applicable OSHA regulations and established schedules and procedures at Bentley University. Standing, walking, lifting, carrying and reaching are performed on a frequent to constant basis. Bending, pushing, pulling, climbing, kneeling and twisting are performed on an occasional to frequent basis. The heaviest physical demands are required during handling of shrubs, sod, furniture, heavier equipment, ice melt, sand, etc. These activities require handling of 25-50 pounds of load resistance on an occasional to frequent basis. Heavier tasks may require the assistance of (2) or more co-workers.
• Performs and schedules seasonal fertilizer and weed control on all campus turf areas.
• Safely performs all daily turf practices such as mowing, trimming, cleanup, edging, etc.
• Corrects and/or repairs existing campus irrigation systems.
• Performs weekly pruning on campus ornamentals.
• Safely operates power machinery such as bucket trucks, bobcats, tractors, mowers, seed slicers, spreaders, sprayers and snow blowers.
• Plants and transplants shrubs, etc. and removes and installs sod. Performs watering operation on all cultivated areas and new plantings. Cleans all roads and walk systems which includes cleaning catch basins, porches, stairways, and the grounds of all trash. Maintains and installs all campus traffic signal systems, sign posts, barriers, gates, etc.
• Assist Grounds employees in all facets of Facilities operations, including but not limited to furniture moves, responding to work order requests, and snow removal.
• Performs daily campus surface trash cleanup.
• Participates in training to keep and acquire knowledge, skills, and abilities to remain current with standard operational practices and revised standards.
• Reports building damages, malfunctioning equipment, needed maintenance and/or repairs in assigned work areas.
• Responds to emergency call-in situations.
• Keeps detailed records of all product applications and present them to the state when appropriate.
• Interacts professionally with members of the Bentley community.
• Inputs data into the computerized work order system, recording time and work order information.
• Grooming of athletic fields such as: mowing, infield prep, fertilizer applications, weeding and watering.
Minimum Qualifications (Education and Experience Requirements)
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in the turf care industry or athletic field care and maintenance, with experience in grooming turf and infield for game conditions, plus knowledge of all turf-related practices and athletic field requirements.
• Use of motor vehicle required for transportation of tools and equipment for job related duties. Must hold and maintain a valid, unrestricted United States driver's license, with an insurable driving history as determined by Bentley's insurance carrier. May be required to drive a Bentley issued vehicle.
• Must possess a valid Hoisting license, or must be able to obtain one within 60 days of hire.
• Must possess a valid Massachusetts commercial pesticide license, or, must be able to obtain one within 60 days of hire.
• Must have working knowledge of all application equipment, e.g., granular spreaders and spray equipment.
• Experience in irrigation systems and their proper control and repair.
• Ability to read blueprints, perform math calculations and quantity conversions required.
• Must be physically able to perform the daily work demands of the job in accordance with standards set forth by management.
• Must be able to read, write and interpret documents in the English language, e.g. safety rules, material safety data sheets (MSDS), operating repair, installation and procedure instruction manuals.
• Must be able to effectively interact and communicate with co-workers and supervisors.
• Must be available for emergency call-in situations.
• Properly uses and cares for Bentley tools, radios and equipment.
Related agricultural degree or certificate preferred.
Ability to squat, kneel and maintain bent postures from 5 minutes up to 10 minutes for a continuous duration, on an occasional to frequent basis. 2. Ability to walk on level, uneven and inclined surfaces on a sustained basis and climb steps up to 24 steps and ladders up to 18-ft on an occasional to frequent basis. 3. Ability to lift up to 25-pounds individually and up to 100-pounds with assistance, 0-72 inch height range, on an occasional to frequent basis. 4. Ability to carry up to 25-pounds up to 100 yards on an occasional to frequent basis. 5. Ability to push and pull against resistances up to 100-pounds on an occasional basis. 6. Ability to extend reach with both arms, from floor level to overhead, handling up to 25-pounds on an occasional basis. 7. Ability to manipulate small parts, machine and vehicle controls and various hand tools on a frequent basis.
Special Instructions to Applicants
This position is regularly scheduled Monday through Friday, 7:00 am – 3:30 pm. Depending upon business needs, some weekend shifts may be required. Must be available for emergency call-in situations.
Bentley University requires reference checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity.