Client Svc Rep, Outpatient Med
Requisition # 2018-8637
Department Health Services
Category Health Services
Full-Time / Part-Time Part-Time
The Client Service Representative (CSR) provides high quality customer service to internal and external customers, including the students. As the "face" of UHS, the Client Services Representative is tasked with providing service in a welcoming and professional manner, in keeping with the established mission and values of UHS.
University Health Services (UHS) at Princeton University is a fully accredited (Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, or “AAAHC”) health care facility. Located in the McCosh Health Center, the Caldwell Field House and Dillon Gym, UHS provides comprehensive health services to more than 7,500 Princeton undergraduate and graduate students, and specialized services to Princeton University faculty, staff, and employees who experience work-related injuries and illnesses, or who require consultations regarding international and travel medicine.
UHS's mission is to enhance learning and student success by advancing the health and well-being of our diverse University community. This mission is pursued and supports the University's purpose by using current knowledge of health and human development to guide responsive, high quality clinical, prevention, and consultation services.
UHS's values are Respect & Compassionate Care; Integrity & Service Excellence; Collaboration & Innovative Solutions; & Engagement & Lifelong Learning.
UHS hires individuals of all backgrounds. We build on our staff's diversity--recognizing, valuing, and appreciating the different perspectives, talents and energy of all. UHS invites all its employees to make a valuable contribution in this regard. We firmly believe that being an inclusive and culturally responsive community is one of the foundations of a vibrant, relevant organization. We aspire to develop the mindsets, knowledge and abilities to build equitable and inclusive systems, teams and culture.
Client/Customer Service (50%)
- Provides high quality client/customer service to students and patients consistent with UHS standards.
- Greets the patients and documents their arrival for appointments and urgent care services; provide directions to their designated waiting area.
- Responds to patients' concerns and emotional state professionally and appropriately, especially when students presenting are ill.
- Maintains a professional demeanor despite the volume of presenting patients and multiple competing demands in a very busy practice setting.
- Listens carefully to students' concerns, helping them determine the best appointment options for them, making appropriate decisions regarding which practitioner and time frame is best suited for that particular concern and correctly documenting and acting on this information.
- Exhibits superior communication skills and professionalism in order to provide a safe and confidential interaction with the students recognizing that this is a high priority in this sensitive and specialized area.
- Responds timely to patients' questions or concerns (issues regarding insurance, their bills, appointment rescheduling, referrals, etc.) If unable to answer a question, the CSR will direct the patient to someone who can, and stays on the line or with the patient until it is certain they have received a response to their inquiry.
- Uses service recovery techniques and principles when a customer is dissatisfied.
Administrative Support (30%)
- Utilizes Medicat (UHS' practice management system) for all workflow, including electronic health records (EHR) management, financial transactions, data reporting, and scheduling. Follows standard operating procedures regarding scheduling guidelines; reviews the practitioner's notes, outside specialist referrals, and completed laboratory and radiology results, and provides printed documentation when necessary.
- Schedules immunization appointments, based on a thorough knowledge of immunization sequencing.
- Scans medical documents as required by the paperless charting system (radiology and laboratory results, as well as outside consultations and test results).
- Performs data entry of medical information for all incoming and returning students.
- Under the direction of the Office Manager, releases highly sensitive and confidential private medical information to students, outside agencies, legal institutions, including subpoenas in accordance with state and federal laws and UHS risk management policies.
- Assists with arrangements for transportation for patients going to University Medical Center at Princeton or referred to a community physician.
- Rotates through other UHS areas in a support role when needed.
- Becomes cross trained with all the duties of the front desk.
- Assumes additional duties as assigned by the Office Manager.
Financial Support (10%)
- Perform cashiering and billing functions for the sale of billable products.
Clinical Care (5%)
- Responds to the emergency respond call system, notifying medical personnel, and providing additional assistance as needed such as calling 911, holding the elevator and directing arriving emergency responders. When needed, initiates care at the front desk to students who are vomiting, fainting, or exhibiting open wounds, etc. while waiting for UHS medical providers.
Strategic Initiatives (5%)
- Contributes to UHS process improvement plan and when possible represents Outpatient Services on job appropriate committees.
High School Diploma
- 2-3 years of experience in a customer service role in a healthcare organization
- Customer service training, aptitude, and presentation, on the phone and in person
- Ability to work evenings and weekends and to accommodate changes in work schedules
- Knowledge of Electronic Healthcare Records software
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.